1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is hammer follow a problem unique to 1911's, or are other semi-autos vulnerable to this? Are there any that have no issues with it at all?

Remember, me == beginner.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
If you take a Browning Hi power
(Limited nuclear war, Military intel., Govt. efficency, Hi power
)

under 3 1/2# they often follow.

geo ><>

·
Registered
888 Posts
I just finished troubleshooting a Para-Ordnance P-13 that started with the hammer following. Then ended up the hammer would not stay cocked. Tried new disconnector, sear and hammer only to find out the sear spring leaf had been weakened by the previous owner. Bent the spring forward a bit and all is well.:p

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Believe me, hammer follow isn't unique to anything. HI-Powers are notorious for it because people are always tring to cut the sear face angle as shallow as possible to reduce the trigger force.

Any auto will do it if somebody buggers up the sear or hammer face. What's worse, a lot of autos will develop hammer follow as the sear and/or hammer face wears with use. That's why you see aftermarket sears and hammers offered which are made from tool (forged) steel as opposed to the typical factory junk which is cast and then (hopefully) hardened. Problem is, surface hardening only works on the surface... and once you wear through that it's a short ride to a worn out sear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts