1911Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the range last saturday and a buddy tested my 1911 by locking the slide and then release it using the slide release. I know its bad (as some says) to release the slide on an empty chamber but when he does it the hammer follow the slide and drop ay half cock.

Anybody has any idea on what to repair or replace?

vega

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Please refrain from doing this practice. Releasing the slide from slide lock position on an empty chamber causes the sear and hammer contact to rub on each other causing premature wear! If this had never happened before, it could be that the sear is worn out. You have to replace it with a new one. Hammer follow through can also be caused by improper sear spring tension. When the slide is released on an empty chamber, the sear vibrates and allows the hammer to release. When a round is present, the round cushions the slide as it closes so very little to no vibration occurs, so no hammer follow through happens. Before buying a new sear, try playing with the sear spring, bend the one on the left and middle one forward to increase tension. This will put more tension on the sear and trigger keeping it in place when the slide is released forward. This will make your trigger pull heavier though! If your trigger pull becomes too heavy and the problem still persists, its time to put a new sear! Also, steel triggers(more mass?) tend to move back and forth more so than plastic triggers, when doing such practice. I only have plastic trigger on all of my 1911s(they all have less than 3# trigger pull). ' hope this help and safe shooting!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jrf - No trigger job was done on it.

labuyo - Mabuhay! I think I have to adjust my sear spring a little. I have done this before when the hammer drops at half cock everytime I pull the trigger.

thanks for your replies.

vega

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Vega, are you an L.E.O.? Last time I was there(1990) they don't allow civillians to own firearms. If they do now I'll take that as a positive change! Where in P.I. are you from? I was from Quezon city. Anyway, you mentioned that the hammer goes in half cock after you pull the trigger. If your trigger has an adjustment for over-travel you have to losen it, its probably preventing the sear from clearing the hammer all the way and catches the half cock notch thats why it goes in half cock position when you pull the trigger. Mabuhay and safe shooting!!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
labuyo - Im a civilian. When Cory came into power (1986) she allowed civilians to own firearms. In fact she gave amnesty to high powered owners to register their firearms. No question asked. Some people have more than 2 firearms. The law allow us to own 2. One long and one short. But I have more than 2. Don't tell anyone.

I have fixed the problem. There's no adj for over-travel. I adjusted the sear spring and its ok now. There's no problem with the sear.

Thanks and Mabuhay!

vega

·
Registered
288 Posts
Vega,

Great to know you solved you problem. I just wanted to share an experience I had today.

I went to the range to get my PTT renewed and tried to squeeze in a firing session during lunch. However, after around four mags worth of major load (hot?) .45 reloads I experienced the exact problem as mentioned by labuyo. Every other trigger pull would not discharge the pistol and simply cause the hammer to fall to half-cock. If you remember, I had previously replaced my stock trigger with an ajustable aluminum Nowlin. Well, apparently the overtravel screw moved out of place quite a bit during my first few mags. The RO thought I wasn't depressing the grip safety that positively so he suggested we wrap some masking tape around it but to no effect. While at the range I couldn't think of what was wrong so (although I thought it may have been my sear spring) I had to leave prematurely. Once I gt home i remembered an article I read in this forum and adjusted the overtravel screw. Lo and behold, problem solved! I then borrowed some clear nail polish from my wife and dabbed it into the screw hole so that the screw stays put. Some people have suggested Loctite but I couldn't find the blue variety anywhere here. I just hope it stays put tomorrow when I go to the range again.

Cheerz,

malmon

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
malmon - long time no hear. Glad to hear you also solved your problem.

BTW, CD forum is back.

vega

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Way ta' go guys...If this happens again you might also check this. Hold the trigger forward as you release the slide. If it stays put, then you know it's simply not enough tension for whatever reason and an easy fix...Good Luck and be safe...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

!!!Molon Labe'!!!

[This message has been edited by gyp_c (edited 10-07-2001).]

·
Registered
67 Posts
Malmon,

Please check my post under Maintenance and Troubleshooting : "check that Trigger Adjustment Screw ! "
for an idea of what can happen when the trigger screw moves in the other direction.

Yes, make sure it is well locked - it will cause more problems than I had ever considered. It certainly is more than a 'shooters comfort' device !!

Regards,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts