1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you guys ever heard of the hammer following the slide back and the round going off during intial loading? Racking it so to speak.
My friend says he has an 1911 that sometimes when he racks the slide, the hammer follows the slide back and it dischargers the newly chambered round.
Any info? Or is he just full of crap?

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
It can happen. Tell your friend to unload his pistol and take it to a qualified gunsmith ASAP. This is a very dangerous condition. He should not carry it or even load it until it's fixed.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yep, the BEST possible outcome of not getting that pistol fixed ASAP is the embarrassment of going full-auto at the range. Too many worst case scenarios to list...

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So is this a common thing or a very very occurance?

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
4th

DeepHelmet said:
It can happen. Tell your friend to unload his pistol and take it to a qualified gunsmith ASAP. This is a very dangerous condition. He should not carry it or even load it until it's fixed.
Deephelmet is correct on all counts. This is called "Hammerfollow" (duh) and it is dangerous....and it is not that unusual.

Take care,
Art

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Hammer and Sear problem

This is usually caused by the hammer hooks or sear face being worn out or if some has given this piece a trigger job they may be been too aggresive in removing material.
Like the others have said. Get this gun into a smith right away. If you can't then DO NOT even attempt to load it.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
MattK said:
This is usually caused by the hammer hooks or sear face being worn out or if some has given this piece a trigger job they may be been too aggresive in removing material.
Or it could be as simple as the sear spring incorrectly adjusted.

Either way, the pistol should not be fired until the problem is remedied.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Please excuse my ignorance on things I am trying to learn things, will the firing pin safety on the bottom side of the slide on newer Colt types stop this from happeneing?
Thanks?

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
No.

That is the Series 80 safety that you hear so much about on this forum. It only prevents the firing pin from moving forward if the pistol is dropped.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I think a series 80 would prevent that type of AD. It won't stop the hammer from dropping though.

If the hammer follows the slide down, and isn't caught by the 1/2 cock "ledge", the hammer strikes the FP and you have an AD...upon a reload for example.

The series 80 blocks the FP until the trigger is pulled so no AD if the hammer drops on it's own so to speak.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Irishlad said:
I think a series 80 would prevent that type of AD. It won't stop the hammer from dropping though.

If the hammer follows the slide down, and isn't caught by the 1/2 cock "ledge", the hammer strikes the FP and you have an AD...upon a reload for example.

The series 80 blocks the FP until the trigger is pulled so no AD if the hammer drops.
The reason I am asking this because of the experience with my friend, I thought of carrying one, and I need to consider all safety aspects. 1911's are a lot different than revolvers that I am used to carrying. :)
I really appreciate the info guys. Thanks for all your inputs.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Hammer follow happens too fast - if the trigger is still pulled to the rear after the first shot, the S80 safety parts will do nothing to prevent a second (or third, fourth, fifth, etc.) round from firing due to hammer follow.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Shane45-1911:

I agree that once you start pulling the trigger, the "party's over", but on an initial load or reload, the series 80 will stop any AD due to hamer or sear problems if you finger is off the trigger. The series 70, Kimber or S&W will not.

4thHorseman:

The 1911 is very different than your revolver for carry. ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts