1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you guys suggest where I can get an old 1911a1 traditional style(new man.) hammer. I bought a Kings Stainless but I would prefer to get a Blue/parkerized one. Also where can I get my gloss manual safety parkerized or beadblasted dull? I'm doing a retro job on my 1991a1. Regards, RB :confused:

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I left something out.

might be less costly to just buy new parts in the flavor you want, than having them refinished.
The manual safety is a 1911a1 type in gloss finish. I don't think anyone makes the retro style safety in new production. I'm open for answers if someone does. Otherwise I'll get the one I have redone. RB

·
Registered
128 Posts
Just a suggestion, although I do not know if Colt sells their parts directly, but you might be able to find the parts you need from them since their WWI repro is pretty damn close to original.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I don't know where on earth you'll find a new production GI type thumb safety. I have a GI piece, like new condition, parked, that I've been using as a testing placeholder in a project gun. Make me an offer by PM if you'd like.
One could also conceivably make one. It'd be expensive, but... if you look at some of the competition extended safeties (the one on newer SAs comes to mind) you'll see the back of the thumb pad is of the same general config as GI. All you'd have to do is grind off the extended portion, bevel the edges, perhaps file off the typical serrations and redo them or checker it. Whatever. It could be done, though, is my point, if you don't want to use a GI part.
As to the hammer, they're hard enough to find, too. I've seen spur hammers in Brownells... SVI makes a nice one, part no. 823-102-107.
STI makes one too, though it's a funky skelotonized piece. It's a nice hammer though, I'm using one on my aforementioned project. I also recall seeing a wide target spur hammer, but I don't recall who made it, and I can't find it on Brownell's website at the moment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts