1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to the forum & have a question that I cannot find an answer to. Maybe I'm just not using the correct nomenclature, I don't know. My question is in regard to re-assembly. I just got done re-assembling a Series 80 Colt Government model 1911. I took my time with it, double, triple checked & made sure everything was put back correctly, by the book. I installed a new mainspring, magazine spring, a heavier firing pin spring & 16.5 recoil spring. I safety checked it in every manner possible & it performs without fault. My issue comes into play when I rack the slide, without my finger on the trigger, sometimes the hammer drops & it seems almost random. Sometimes the hammer drops & sometimes it doesn't, though I feel like it drops when I really try & let it rip. I tried doing it without my palm on the grip safety, but can't seem to replicate it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

·
Banned
430 Posts
1.Somebody filed hammer/sear to decrease trigger pull and messed up. I messed up and had to buy another hammer and sear.
2.The gun was assembled from parts and they were not fit together. I remember filing sear legs to make my first 1911 work.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Is the sear spring bent? Or did you try to adjust it before assembling? If there is not enough pressure on the sear, it could cause your problem

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
The concern is called hammer follow. This started only after your changes?
Joe

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Never attempted to adjust the sear spring. Only took it out, cleaned & re-installed.

Yes, I'm pretty sure only after, as I don't remember this being an issue before, but I don't use the pistol that frequently.

Those were the only things I did to it, other than clean & lube it. I made no attempt at any custom work or changes. All new parts were from Ed Brown.

·
Registered
149 Posts
You don't say which "new mainspring" you used. A lot of aftermarket mainsprings are rather lighter than OEM springs.

Try reinstalling the original mainspring to see if that solves your problem. If it does, that would suggest to me that you should have a look at your hammer & sear before using your Ed Brown mainspring.

You could also try bending your sear spring a bit to stiffen up your sear, but I'd first try reinstalling the old mainspring.

·
Registered
149 Posts
That's not too bad. Still, I'd try swapping back and forth between the two springs to see.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
The most common error in reassembly is the position of the left leg of the "sear" spring.

Remove the main spring housing (MSH) and be sure the left leg of the sear spring is positioned correctly on top of the left side of the sear> not under!

Smiles,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for your replies & help. I finally had a chance to take it apart & put it back together. I replaced the 23# mainspring with the old one & the problem is still persisting. I believe there is some adjustment that needs to be done to the sear spring as there seems to be not enough tension. I appreciate all of you for weighing in & providing me insight.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
For a tutorial if needed, Google: "Weigand 2.5# trigger job"

Smiles,

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Your'e welcome, I believe it's one of Niemi24S's.
Pedro.
I know Dan puts his illustrations out there and expects no attribution but I always acknowledge his work and appreciate when credit is given.
Joe

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Thank you all for your replies & help. I finally had a chance to take it apart & put it back together. I replaced the 23# mainspring with the old one & the problem is still persisting. I believe there is some adjustment that needs to be done to the sear spring as there seems to be not enough tension. I appreciate all of you for weighing in & providing me insight.
Dan,
The flat leaf spring can become bent in a way it doesn't provide enough or too much force on any of the 3 individual leaves. If you don't have a method to measure the force on the sear, you should either seek a professional or simply replace the spring. They're cheap. If that doesn't cure it, it's possible you have a damaged sear or hammer.

·
Banned
430 Posts
Possible problems(all, logical approach):
bad hammer tooth
damaged sear top "blade"
seized sear
broken left sear leg
spring is dislocated or weak (doesn't push left sear leg forward)

Note: spring is made of soft steel and can be bent to adjust tension.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Are you letting the slide slam home on an empty chamber when this happens ?

·
Premium Member
5,366 Posts
Are you letting the slide slam home on an empty chamber when this happens ?
After trigger works a few slide drops are often used to prove that the hammer does NOT drop.

It is needlessly hard on the action to do it many times, but a few time to prove out trigger work is not going to harm anything and part of the safety check after trigger work.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts