1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have generally been of the opinion that one should not muck with the hammer on a 1911, either to cock it or to lower it manually. However, I was reading on another board a fellow who seems to think this exercise is normal and/or desirable. To quote him:

"If you CARRY a 1911 and have never TRAINED with the gun in both the hammer on half cock(as in a following hammer) or with the hammer down (as in a FTF) or even clearing drills and dont see a benifite in becoming familiar with it in every condition. I'm not going to be able to explain it to you. "

Can someone comment on this? Seems to me if the hammer is down after a Failure To Fire/Feed I want to rack the slide, not manipulate the hammer.

Or am I missing his point? Thanks.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Simple. Clearance drills require manipulation of the SLIDE, not the hammer - as you have indicated.

·
Registered
11,105 Posts
I actually agree with him, tho not in the way he probably wants. If I dont see the benefit (I dont), he wont be able to explain it to me (he cant).

As Shane said if you pull the trigger and no bang you are gonna rack the slide and get rid of whats likely a bad cartridge not cock the hammer and pray that shell decides to go off this time.

;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts