1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently aquired a Colt Model 70 1911. Can anyone tell me when you need to use the half cocked hammer saftey.What is the safest way to uncock the gun while loaded. Thanks Tee

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
NEVER try to uncock the gun while it is loaded. Drop the magazine, then rack the slide to unload the chamber.

My understanding is that the half-cock notch is there just in case of sear failure as it will catch the hammer, preventing the gun from firing.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Even though the hammer is external I seldom, if ever actually touch it with my fingers. If you're going to carry it loaded cocked & locked is the way to do so ( IMO) IF not condtion one than carry it condition 3 ( chamber empty, hammer down) When I clear the gun I drop the magazine, retract the slide, inspect chamber, close slide point pistol toward ground and pull trigger.

This routine works for me, your milage may vary :p

·
Administrator
73,850 Posts
The half-cock notch is NOT a safety position, period. Its sole purpose is to catch the hammer should it fail to fully cock, otherwise the piece would go full-auto. I've had some pistols fail like this several times, and each time it was the half-cock notch that kept me from having to go change my shorts afterwards.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback, I only shoot the gun at the range,I dont carry it loaded. I've been dropping the clip and racking it to empty the last round. I couldn't figure out the reason for the half cocked position. Tee

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
DSK,
Do you know why your 1911s failed to go to full cock on those occasions, and has it made you a proponent of the Series 80?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts