1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing a spur hammer with a commander on my TRP. The GS is. Modified GI. Here is my question. With the hammer trial fitted and slide in full recoil position the hammer bottoms out on the GS with good but minimal clearance against the slide, maybe a 32nd or so. Is there a minimum clearance or rebound that is optimism? I can easily scoop out the GS to make more room but I don't know if just enough clearance is better than a little more. Seems to my illogical brain that minimum rebound would be best. Thoughts

thanks

·
Registered
7,380 Posts
Good question. If the hammer can rebound all the way to full cock, is this enough? I would think so, but I have no idea. I know the slide will push the hammer back further than full cock, so you need enough clearance to allow for this. But beyond that, Let's see what the guru's say.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Curious as well. Just replaced the skeleton hammer and grip safety on my Colt Commander with a rowel hammer and short tang safety. With the slide retracted it has about 1/16 clearance from the GS. Slide to hammer I'll have to check.

·
Premium Member
15,349 Posts
It's a funny thing. On every original military 1911 or Colt 1911, if you push the hammer down all the way, it depresses the grip safety. I always say this is deliberate so a mounted cavalry trooper could let the hammer down one-handed like they did with the revolver. Of course, the thumb safety makes that unnecessary, but it still works. If you try it, make sure it's unloaded - it's rather dangerous.
Perhaps the real reason is it serves as a limit on hammer travel to prevent bending of the hammer strut if the mainspring bottomed out. Whatever, I don't see any reason to mess with that relationship.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts