1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am planning to replace the hammer and sear on my Sistema and wondering how difficult it is to remove the Hammer strut pin...Does it just push out or do I have to punch it out?..Does it come out left to right...Hope like hell it isn't staked...Thanks...

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
CJ, The hammer strut pin may be staked in, but it can be removed either direction. I have not taken my pre-1986 Systima down all the way for a long time so I can say for sure if the pin is staked in or not. It may be held in place with a semi-press fit which means you will have to find a punch to remove it.

Good luck.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
MOLON LABE
Leonidas c 480 BC
FFF

·
Registered
394 Posts
CJ, it probably is staked. No big deal, if you tear it up trying to remove it, mil. surp. struts and strut pins are cheap and they work just fine in my experience. I had a Sistema 1927 about 8 years ago. It's strut pin was staked. You know, I spent a chunk of money on that old gun. Hammer, sear, trigger, grips, thumb safety, beaver tail, sights and a re-blue. I should have just kept it stock. When I went to sell it, it was still a Sistema 1927 and just a shooter. Read "I lost money." Also in some of the Sistema's I have seen, the steel below the surface of the slide is soft and custom adj. sights don't seem to stay on all that long. Don't get me wrong, these old guns are a good buy for the money. Mine had matching numbers and locked up tighter than my series 80 Colt I had at the time. But if you plan on puting a lot of money in it, plan to keep it. Good luck! Shoot Safe......CO

------------------
"I won't be wronged, I
won't be Insulted, and I
won't be laid a had on. I
don't do these things to
other people and I
require the same from
them." From the movie
"The Shootist."

·
Registered
61 Posts
this might be a silly question; but why are you replacing the hammer strut? Is it broken?
Daniel

------------------
1 peter 5:8

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Daniel, I really rather replace nothing on my pistol but it came with an 11 lb trigger pull which is unacceptable...I have no access to good smiths here so I tried to just polish the hammer and sear myself...Helped very little...Finally settled on a drop in trigger kit from Nowlin. The kit includes a new hammer which comes without a strut...I already got a new strut and pin for $5.00...Also found out I need a drip in beavertail from Wilsons because new hammer will not cock with old grip safety...Sigh...Never ends...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Isn't it amazing how one thing leeds to another. There is almost no end to what you can do to the 1911. And it is easy to justify just about every modification. you need to find a GOOD pistolsmith. I wonder who you could call??
Daniel
Gunsmoke Custom

------------------
1 peter 5:8

·
Registered
394 Posts
CJ, find a grip safety off a comander. It is shaped different than the one on your Sistema and should work with the Nowlin hammer. It's made to work ith the Colt burr hammer. Shoot Safe.....CO

------------------
"I won't be wronged, I
won't be Insulted, and I
won't be laid a had on. I
don't do these things to
other people and I
require the same from
them." From the movie
"The Shootist."

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Hello CJ,
Your existing beavertail can be notched to allow the clearence you need for the new hammer. After you install the new parts make sure your thumb safety works correctly. Here is a test you should perform. Make sure the gun is unloaded, cock the hammer engage the thumb safety squeeze the trigger and see if the hammer moves also if the hammer falls after you release the safety this is an unsafe situation and you may need to have a new thumb safety installed. The reason I'm telling you this is sometimes when you install new trigger group parts the thumb safety does not block the new sear the way it should. It would be best if you could find a pistol smith to help you and check your work.
Regards, Bob Hunter www.huntercustoms.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts