1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am well acquainted with M1 thumb :bawling:

But what is hammer bite? Forgive. I'm still learning. Does it make for any good stories?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
It's when the hammer, during cocking/recoil, bites into the web of your hand. This is why people put beavertail grip safeties on.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,058 Posts
It has also, for some reason, come to describe having the hand worn or cut by sharp edges on the frame and grip safety. Since the hammer is not involved it only confuses the issue, but it's become popular usage.

·
Registered
11,105 Posts
RickB said:
It has also, for some reason, come to describe having the hand worn or cut by sharp edges on the frame and grip safety. Since the hammer is not involved it only confuses the issue, but it's become popular usage.
People are calling that hammer bite? I havent heard that before.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I seem to recall a thread regarding "beaver bite", where people were discussing grip safety bite. As you can imagine, half the replies were jokes about beaver.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I suffered from sharp edges on the grip safety tang to such an extent that the blood would literally fly after only 50 shots. However, just knocking off the sharp edges with a piece of 320-grit sandpaper took care of the problem entirely. This fix took only a few minutes and a few cents worth of sandpaper, so I highly recommend that one determine the true cause of "hammer bite" before spending money on a beavertail grip safety.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,058 Posts
Frames and grip safeties can be sharp, but that's obviously not hammer bite. Beaver bite. Ha! Of course, some are calling all grip safeties "beavertails", even if they're G.I. style, so we've lost another word to generalization.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Don't worry about it. It only happens to pussies and wimps.:D

Actually, prolongerd shooting of a standard-tanged 1911A1 will often leave a bit of a sore reddened area at the thumb web area, but true hammer bite doesn't much happen with a 1911A1 unless you have fairly fleshy or unusually large hands.

The 1911 and P35 (BHP) are another story, of course:(

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
You can also just shorten the hammer and round the edges of the grip safety to make it go away; at least for most people, a beavertail isn't necessary.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Some folks are confused because when holding a cocked gun, it can appear that the hammer spur will not reach the hand. But when the gun is fired, the slide kicks the hammer hard enough to drive it all the way back and down so it loses contact with the slide and if it can reach the skin, the result is "ouch".

One of the worst offenders is the Argentine M1927, either the Colt-made, or the Sistema. Those guns use the old long spur hammer that was apparently designed by the maker of Band-Aids.

Jim

·
Registered
972 Posts
I am curious as to why so many of you object to beaver tail grip safeties or anyone claiming (how dare they) that they actually need one.

I don't mind one bit if you used the wide spade hammer and short grip safety of the original 1911. For me, one shot will produce blood, but if you like it more power to you. If you can get buy with just a Commander hammer, again more power to you. For me, the grip is just more comfortable with the beaver tail and it completely eliminates "hammer bite".

More comfortable and no bite. What in the world is wrong with that???????

·
Registered
126 Posts
Beaver tail?? Beaver bite??? I say eat the beaver, 100 million men (and some women) can't be wrong!!:D

·
Administrator
72,478 Posts
Dave T said:
More comfortable and no bite. What in the world is wrong with that???????
Nothing, except they're so damned ugly. :barf:

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I think they look good. But ain't that the beauty of it? You can have it your way...;)

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Dave T said:
I am curious as to why so many of you object to beaver tail grip safeties or anyone claiming (how dare they) that they actually need one.
It's not a question of objecting, at least not for me. It is more a question of wondering why people never offer or consider anything but "beavertail, beavertail, beavertail" as the only solution to hammer/grip tang bite. For some people it is the best, and for some it isn't. Folks suggest a simpler/cheaper alternative to cutting the frame and replacing parts, and people take it as a personal attack for some reason.

Beavertails are for booger heads! Take THAT! :biglaugh:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts