1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new special edition P14 limited.Itr has less than 200 rounds through it. I put about 60 rounds through it this weekend without any problems at all. Last night after I cleaned it and put it back together, the hammer would not drop. Its the only series 80 type pistol I have, so I took it apart and put it back together again just to make sure I did it right. It still woud not drop the hammer. The trigger moves slightly and the firing pin block lever moves like it is supposed to.

A bunch of guys I work with bought about 200 of these through our Department. I've only talked to a few of them, but this is the 2nd major problem I've seen personally. I'm no gun smith and will have to send it in for warranty. Has anyone had this same problem. .

·
Registered
812 Posts

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Could be that you didn't get the firing pin block levers in as correctly as you think you did too....

The lower one is moved by the trigger bow to move the other one so the flag goes up when the trigger's fully depressed.

One of the guys posted this a while back: (Can't remember who....)

(The trigger would be moving to the LEFT in that picture.)

I found a way to put that back together so the flag wouldn't go up. I bet you could find a way to do it so the trigger wouldn't move too :D....

(Still could be the trigger stop.)

Regards,

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Could be that you didn't get the firing pin block levers in as correctly as you think you did too....

The lower one is moved by the trigger bow to move the other one so the flag goes up when the trigger's fully depressed.

One of the guys posted this a while back: (Can't remember who....)

(The trigger would be moving to the LEFT in that picture.)

I found a way to put that back together so the flag wouldn't go up. I bet you could find a way to do it so the trigger wouldn't move too :D....

(Still could be the trigger stop.)

Regards,
I did that also the first time I stripped my P-13. Looking back at that and diagrams, I can't see how that could cause the hammer not to fall, but it damn sure went back together wrong and it wouldn't fire..
My guess is the overtravel srew or possibly a damaged disconnector. If the hammer will cock, you know it and the sear must be OK.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Kimberguy:

I think you could put the top flag (the one with #3 on it) in and manage to lock the bottom lever so it'd block the trigger.... I put the bottom lever in so it'd ride in front (to the right in the picture) of the top lever. The trigger would work but the flag wouldn't go up. The hammer would drop though....

In this situation the trigger's not working - that (IMHO) has to be the thumb safety or the flags....

Getting the hammer to cock assuming that something's not holding the sear "open" is a separate function. The disconnector is about the only thing that might interfere.

I've got to strip an LDA down to bare frame one of these days. I just got another one, so maybe I can look at one that works if I muck it up :D....

(Back to topic: )

I think I'd yank the two levers out of the frame and see what happens if the safety's not installed. The gun won't fire, but that tests all the frame goodies, since the hammer should drop. Then put the safety back (it's easier) and see if anything changes. Then put back the drop safety parts....

Getting those drop safety goodies back in can be a riot....

Regards,

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Overtravel screw was loose, but not the problem. Also, it wasn't put back together wrong, because I don't break them down far enough for that. Its back to para for this one. The ambi safety is too spongy anyway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts