1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm jonesing for a small, 2" barrel or so, hammerless revolver in 38 spl. Maybe to give to my wife if I can get her interested but won't mind keeping myself just in case. I want one with no lock and I've done a search but just wondering if anything new is out there or any new ideas. TIA.... :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
I carry a 638-2 Bodyguard S&W .38 special ( +p rated). Its got a small hammer, but some people consider it kinda like a hammerless. I like the fact that you can thumb cock it like a regular revolver but you can shoot it if you have to inside a coat or jacket pocket without worry of it catching inside. Best of both worlds actually. It is accurate and I really liked the trigger on it. It does come with a lock but I have never used it nor do I intend to. Check one out and see if you like it. I recomend them highly. For me personally, I carry it or my Detective Special and I seem to be carrying the Smith more even though I am a Colt man. The Stainless/aluminum feature as well as size is slowly winning me over.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
I would suggest what I have; the S&W 642 w/Crimson Trace laser grip. It's a new one so it does have a lock but maybe you can find an older one.

·
Super Moderator
14,938 Posts
I carry the same thing Primers does - a Smith 642 with CT Lasergrips. Mine has a lock, but so what? It's never been a problem, and it's never been locked. What are your objections to a Smith revolver with a lock?

It's a easy gun to carry. Usually just in a pocket holster, but frequently in an ankle holster.

It's not an easy gun to shoot, but it's not like a 44 mag. either. In fact, it's pretty similar to the recoil of a 45acp (IMHO).

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Another vote for a 642. I'd skip the laser grips unless you want the novelty. They are not very enjoyable to shoot, but they aren't intended as plinkers, either. I find the recoil in a 642 with +P loads "stings" my hand a bit, but nothing that would cause you trouble if you needed it.

They are outstanding pocket guns.

·
Premium Member
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RetiredRod said:
What are your objections to a Smith revolver with a lock?
Nothing against it really other than I don't like a lot of extra parts in a gun that aren't required to make it operate. I have no experience with this lock system so just going off my own prejudices.

RetiredRod said:
It's not an easy gun to shoot, but it's not like a 44 mag. either. In fact, it's pretty similar to the recoil of a 45acp (IMHO).
Sounds right, not looking for a tack driver, just a good defensive gun.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have a S&W model 49 and 642 and love them both. I bought the 642 for my wfe, but found the trigger pull too much for her. I thought of having the trigger worked, but decided to keep it for myself and I bought her a S&W M&P 9 Compact. I thought the revolver would be simpler for her to use, but she really likes the compact.

As for the lock, and I don't want to start a war as I've seen on other forums, but mine has never been locked and has never had any problems. I don't use the passenger visor mirror in my vehicle, but it's never caused me any problems so it doesn't bother me that it's there :) . I guess if it bothers others they can just buy something else.

If possible, I would suggest let your wife shoot different models to see which she likes best. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I prefer my carry Smiths older prelocks. I have tried the "hammerless" but as age and arthritis takes it's toll, the SA option is nice. I have an older airweight bodyguard and that is about as "hammerless" as I care to go.

·
Premium Member
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
chesster said:
I prefer my carry Smiths older prelocks. I have tried the "hammerless" but as age and arthritis takes it's toll, the SA option is nice. I have an older airweight bodyguard and that is about as "hammerless" as I care to go.
I forgot to mention, I like steel guns. I'm just a hair (a very thin hair) older than chesster and can relate to the "age and arthritis" thing.

·
Registered
61 Posts

S/W 638+p 5 shot I like mine it is light ,easy to hide.shoots perfect,,not bad to put 50 rounds thur at a time.
i also carry g-19 and colt gov. 5'' NOT all at once tho.haha

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
S&W is again producing the mod. 40. It has no lock, is an all steel hammerless revo with a grip safety. My personal preference (for carry) is the 642.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Took a liking to the 431 and 432 models..new configurations in the cartridges have enough umph and 6 rounds vs 5 and a oh crap! is something else I like..plus old hands are treated a lot more gently with practice rounds and full house 32 Mag rounds..just my .02

·
Registered
61 Posts
oh crap.

all5x said:
Took a liking to the 431 and 432 models..new configurations in the cartridges have enough umph and 6 rounds vs 5 and a oh crap!
Also great choice of gun.

I never had an "oh crap" is that something new on the market this coming year????:rofl: :scratch:

(Sorry could not let this one slide by)

·
Registered
90 Posts
I just picked up a pre-lock .38 Special 640. Pretty neat little gun. I've only put 50 rounds through it so far - it did better than I did. ha!

·
Premium Member
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Right now I'm kind of torn between a Model 642 and a 36 Lady Smith. Both are about the same price, the 642 is new and the Lady Smith is used (50 rds.) but the MSRP is higher on the 36. Neither one completely fits my criteria but I like both these guns. Does anyone know how the DA trigger compares between the two. I've found a 36 locally that I could try and I like the trigger on that one but if the 642 is equal I might just go that way. TIA for any help....

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Huevos said:
Right now I'm kind of torn between a Model 642 and a 36 Lady Smith. Both are about the same price, the 642 is new and the Lady Smith is used (50 rds.) but the MSRP is higher on the 36. Neither one completely fits my criteria but I like both these guns. Does anyone know how the DA trigger compares between the two. I've found a 36 locally that I could try and I like the trigger on that one but if the 642 is equal I might just go that way. TIA for any help....
I have only handled 3 or 4 LS M36s but all were smooth with good DA trigger pulls.

·
Registered
163 Posts
My girlfriend has a S&W model 60LS she sometimes carries. She also has a S&W 432 .32 H&R magnum, (no longer manufactured) that is very light weight and has a six round capacity. Both weapons are great for self defense.

Dennis

·
Registered
42 Posts
After you shoot your 5 and nothing has happend to the target you are left with an "oh crap!" for your 6th round..most shootings are an average of 1 more round than you have in your gun..so be ready for the "oh crap!" and a reload..always practice..the more you practice the less you bleed when the real thing happens..

·
Registered
753 Posts
There go the hi cap boys again. Speed loader on the belt. Speed strips in the pocket... Next it will be 8 shot scandium snubbies and a speed loader or two.. Did you listen to Walk Rausch when he did the snubbie show for Michael Bane's Shooting Gallery? If you are not a peace officer you are kidding yourself......

1 - 20 of 66 Posts