1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first bought my Dan Wesson CBOB back in February, it would cycle a whole magazine by hand. It would even cycle spent cartridges. I then had a galling issue and sent it back to DW. They hand lapped the slide and frame and replaced the ejector. The gun now shoots flawlessly but won't eject rounds by hand anymore. When I go to take a loaded round out of the chamber it almost always gets stuck. But like i said when firing rounds it ejects fine. Is this something I should be worried about? What could cause this?

·
Premium Member
6,629 Posts
No, your ejector is full length.
It will drop free from the magwell, or you could shorten the ejector.
You always have the option of firing it too.

Bob

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After carrying for the day, I keep all my guns in the safe with full mags but no round in the chamber. So shooting the round isn't an option. Just trying to figure out why this gun used to sling the round across the room when the slide was racked back and now it doesn't. All my other guns will throw the round across the room as well. So something has changed.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
EDIT: DISMISS BELOW AS I HIT 'SAVE' AFTER A LAPSE OF TIME AND NOT SEEING THE EXPLANATION OF THE OP

Please understand that I'm not trying to be sarcastic, but why are you so hung up on ejecting loaded rounds by hand? Have your other 1911s - present or past - been put through this test with different results?

The routine for me is load, shoot, pistol cycles and ejects, load, shoot - and so on. I can't recall the last time I attempted to eject a loaded round.

If you're pistol is operating normally, I'd shoot the hell out of it and enjoy it.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Jake, you didn't tell us what ammo in February or what ammo now. Not all 1911s are designed to eject live rounds by hand through the ejection port. Obviously a loaded round is longer than a fired case. Many custom guns have a cutout on the forward edge of the ejection port to allow for live round ejection.

If your CBOB was doing it, that would be an anomaly in a production gun. Loading, unloading and reloading the same round into the chamber can cause bullet setback and an unsafe increase in pressure when fired. Care should be taken to check for setback.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jake, you didn't tell us what ammo in February or what ammo now. Not all 1911s are designed to eject live rounds by hand through the ejection port. Obviously a loaded round is longer than a fired case. Many custom guns have a cutout on the forward edge of the ejection port to allow for live round ejection.

If your CBOB was doing it, that would be an anomaly in a production gun. Loading, unloading and reloading the same round into the chamber can cause bullet setback and an unsafe increase in pressure when fired. Care should be taken to check for setback.
Thank you, this does make complete sense how they aren't designed to eject live rounds. I would completely agree with this if it never did it before, but since it used to do it fine before, something had to change. My carry ammo has been consistenty Hornady Critical Duty since day 1. I am aware that loading the same ammo over and over again cause changes in seat depth. I constantly check and shoot all my carry mags every few months just to be safe

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Thank you, this does make complete sense how they aren't designed to eject live rounds. I would completely agree with this if it never did it before, but since it used to do it fine before, something had to change. My carry ammo has been consistenty Hornady Critical Duty since day 1. I am aware that loading the same ammo over and over again cause changes in seat depth. I constantly check and shoot all my carry mags every few months just to be safe
A number of things did change when you sent the pistol back for CS - including replacing the ejector. Check out Post #2 again by rbert0005.

·
Banned
13,565 Posts
If your CBOB was doing it, that would be an anomaly in a production gun. .
I own 23 "production" 1911's........to include a 2009 CBOB and a 2011 VBOB. They ALL live eject.

It's not an anomaly.

·
Registered
702 Posts
That sucks, as I generally eject the chambered round and catch it in my hand (sort of a little trick which shows I done it a zillion times) before handing my Combat Master, New Agent or any of my 1911s off to be perused by another.

Gun is always pointed in a safe direction and I always show them an "empty" chamber and magwell before hand-off and dropping the slide.

Every 1911 I've owned ejects live rounds and believe me, catching the ejected round IS a trick when handling a Combat Master.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I usually catch the live rounds when I do it with my Hks sigs, glocks, all them. Something has definitely changed with mine if all of you can still do it. Just not sure what would make it do that. I'm not sure what the difference/benefit? is between a full sized extractor vs a shorter one

·
Registered
15,653 Posts
Hand cycling a pistol will tell you nothing useful. You cannot cycle the slide like it moves when it is fired. If it feeds, fires and ejects live rounds - then it's fine. When you get it on the range number all your mags and take notes of any failures - which mag, 1st round or last round, what kind of ammo, etc. Keep it lubed. The ejector might may need a little tweaking. Rounds that start to pivot out too late can hit the front port wall. Have other people shoot it while you watch. If you're going to hand cycle it please don't use live rounds - dummies only. Live rounds stuck in the ejection port can get whacked by the ejector and go off. It happens.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
IMO every 1911 should be able to eject a live round. When I do defensive shooting competitions the last step is to clear the pistol which often includes ejecting the round in the chamber.

The issue is a simple one and the answer is in Robert's post. DW replaced your ejector with one that was slightly longer. Additionally, different rounds have a different OALs (length).

FWIW I think you'll find that some live ammo from different manufacturers will indeed eject because there are variances in OAL between brands. However, it is a very simple fix.......file the ejector back a little keeping the same profile. The ejector length is not all that critical. Don't worry about messing it up. File until the problem rounds have enough room to pivot and clear the ejection port.

I had a brand new EB with this exact same issue. File that ejector. Issue solved.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts