1911Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Handi Rifle Or Savage Or 700 Adl OR AR-180B ?

Lookin to get an inexpensive .223 for 100-200 yard range plinkin.
Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I'd go with the Savage 10 or 110 series. You can get a 110 package with scope (Simmons IIRC) and sling for under $400. Out of the box acuracy is outstanding.
The Handi-Rifle is a good choice as well. You can always send the reciever back to H&R/NEF and have another barrel fitted in just about any caliber they offer including ****gun. Extra barrels only cost about $70.
You can also look at the Saiga (AK) in .223. They won't shoot MOA but you can get one new, in-box, for $229.:eek:

·
Registered
987 Posts
I've owned both, if I had to pick again, I'd get a savage 110 of some sort. Don't get me wrong, I kind of enjoy open sights on a rifle, but scoped, those savages canshoot.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
get the savage 12BVSS-sxp...its a comfy varmint style rifle mounted and bore sighted with a burris scope (6-18x37)...the problem is its a single shot only..even tho it says it has an internal box magazine...so im not sure if its single shot or not...

http://www.savagearms.com/12bvsssxp.htm

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I do not have one, but only hear good things about the CZ527.

One caution though - according to one source I have seen, Ruger rifles (Mini-14 and some No.1's) are the only commercial arms with a milspec chamber. Commercial (SAAMI) spec chambers have shorter barrel throats, etc. The result being that shooting military spec ammo in a commercial chamber can produce some high pressures. I have yet to hear of a firsthand "disaster", but it is food for thought if you plan on shooting surplus ammo.

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
LAK said:
I do not have one, but only hear good things about the CZ527.
Is that the little bolt action carbine? I think that looks like a cool gun, though I would personally get it in 7.62x39.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
!

7.62x39.is an option also. I didn't realise that cartridge was cheaper than .223 . Ammoman has .223 at 20 cents per shot delivered. Thats not bad.
I've been lookin at the Armalite 180B. Under $600 new. That's only a couple hundred more than the Remington 700 ADL for an AR thatI can't find a bad functionality review on.
So-
AR-180B
Savage
H&R NEF Handi Rifle
Remington 700 ADL

??????????????????

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have a NEF Handi Rifle Heavy barrel in .223 and it shoots 1/4 moa with winchester whitebox .40gr JHP's from walmart.

I picked mine up NIB for $175 :D

It came a little heavy on the trigger but you can send it back to the factory and they will adjust it for you free of charge.

It's a great little rifle for the price.

·
Registered
137 Posts
To me, the Handi Rifles are real sleepers. I had one in .223 and it shot better than 0.5 MOA! It looked real funny to have a Leupold scope on a $200 rifle but the performance spoke for itself. The trigger on mine was real hard but I didn't know I could send it back for a trigger job. I also had one in .30-30 and it shot very well too.

I haven't had a Savage 110 but I have had the older models in .22 Hornet, .222 Rem, and .30-30. They all shot extremely well but were a little crude.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Gordo63- the Savage 110 is not the same rifle you are referring to. That was the Model 342 made in the calibers you mentioned. Not an enthusiasts rifle for sure. The 110 is a much "cleaner" rifle chambered for high-pressure cartridges. A friend just purchased one of the 110 combos in .243 that is shooting 1/4" groups.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Dogwhisperer5 said:
Gordo63- the Savage 110 is not the same rifle you are referring to. That was the Model 342 made in the calibers you mentioned. Not an enthusiasts rifle for sure. The 110 is a much "cleaner" rifle chambered for high-pressure cartridges. A friend just purchased one of the 110 combos in .243 that is shooting 1/4" groups.
That's true. I haven't shot any of the new 110s but what you said is the same as everything else that I have heard regarding their accuracy. I have also heard that their stock triggers are a little rough. Is that still true?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts