1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I handled one at the gun store today, and as I said, I wasn't too fond of it. I'm sure it shoots well, but I just didn't like the feel of it with all those extra safties, slimmed grip, plastic, etc... it felt like a toy. I want the standard GI milspec model. I want it to be simple: a lump of iron that put lead in what I point it at. I don't like thing to be over complicated in the name of political correctness. I don't want to have to squeeze the back of the handle to fire, and if I'm stupid enough to look down the barrel with it loaded and catch the trigger, I want my head to be blown off.

[Rant over]

·
Registered
261 Posts
Mighty Goat

You mentioned squeezing the back.... Are you referring to the grip safety? All 1911's have those whether they are mil spec with a slim tang or a beavertail they all have the grip safety it has always been part of the design.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
As much as I hate to admit it, I will.

I was not impressed either when I held the piece. Maybe cuz it was from Turner's Outdoorsmen and they never clean their guns. Their pistols are horribly maintained, scratches all over the finishes and their stainless guns looks like it is yellow from the packing grease.

I guess it just didn't "feel right" :barf:

How it shoots I have no idea. But first impressions do mean a lot.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I think we should give them a break. After all, isn't this their first attempt at a REAL firearm?! ;) Talking AUTOS here guys!!:D They might get the hang of it yet!

·
Administrator
73,428 Posts
Slimmed grip? Plastic? :confused:

I'm not wild about the SW1911 either, but only because it's such a departure from a true 1911 in many areas. It's really just a 1911-type pistol. That being said, those who have one usually like it a lot.

·
Registered
953 Posts
They are undoubtably good pistols, but I am partial to Colt. I absolutley do not go for the external extractors, or writing on the slide reminding that the pistol will discharge with out a mag :rolleyes: .

·
Administrator
73,428 Posts
I think S&W and Ruger have the same notion about gun owners. They figure we can take their guns into the bathroom and read them while we're on the can. ;)

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
i dont see how its any different than any other 1911 other than their choice of grips and the external extractor. Given its not as nice as their 945, but its a well put together gun. I think most of these i dont like the sw1911 are based on brand loyalty more than anything else. Would i buy it? i dont know, i think i want a rail on my next one so sig is looking good, but do i think its a good gun? yes i do, its a 1911, just like the SA, colts (no you guys arent that special), kimbers, STI's, baers, wilsons, etc of this world...

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Ruger's "instructions" were dictated as part of a settlement in a lawsuit. Probably S&W's are designed to head off same. We will see more.

Has anyone looked at the owner's manual for a new car? Or the warning labels all over the engine compartment. Or the restaurant coffee cups telling us that the coffee is HOT!!. Absurd.

Jim

·
Administrator
13,300 Posts
S&W's warning is about the gun's ability to fire without the magazine in place . They don't put a warning on revolvers . You'd think they would put a warning on all models .

·
Administrator
73,428 Posts
NJKimberSS said:
.....just like the SA, colts (no you guys arent that special).....
Maybe..... at least until resale time. :p

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
dsk said:
Maybe..... at least until resale time. :p
unless the buyer actually shoots the gun:cool: hehe

·
Administrator
73,428 Posts
I shoot most of mine all the time, yet can still sell them at or near what I first paid for them later. There's a difference between shooting a gun and taking care of it, and trashing it. Even after a couple thousand rounds most of mine still look like they're unfired. OTOH I've seen supposedly "unfired" guns for sale that look like they were dragged behind a pickup truck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
dsk said:
I think S&W and Ruger have the same notion about gun owners. They figure we can take their guns into the bathroom and read them while we're on the can. ;)

you got me rolling on the floor with that one dsk

panzer :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

·
Registered
308 Posts
COnsidering the fact that you can get one for less than 550 (LEO factory direct to local FFL), I think SMith is hitting the LE market hard. They have lost a hugh chunk of LE sales to Glock and are working hard to reclaim it. For that, I applaud them for trying to get more Amreican guns in the hands of American cops. Smith has a great gun in the form of their 1911 and now that they have the kinks worked out, it seems like a good option for those wanting a reliable pistol, but not wanting to spend 2k for a wilson.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts