1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first try reloading .45ACP. After reading here, I decided to try 3.7g of Clays behind a 230g LRN. The load won't cycle my Les Baer TRS.

You guys who use this load, do you have to change springs to make it work?

The LB is pretty stiff, so maybe these would function in another gun?

·
Registered
344 Posts
I think your load is a bit too light for the Bear. I have 2 TRS and an SRP. I'm using a light load with Bullseye. I had a load {185-XTP's} that was too light for the TRS so I bumped it up a little and everything worked fine. I am using 230's now, Hornady HAP's and 4.0 Grains of Bullseye and it works every time. 5.0 is the norm for Bullseye. I would'nt change the spring in the TRS. Just make them hoter and shoot the TRS more.
Good Shooting
Newt

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
I use 3.8g of Clays with a 230g LRN in a Baer PII with 1.5" accuracy guarantee. It is a pretty tight pistol. I'm using a 16lb recoil spring and it works fine. Did your TRS come with a 18 or 18.5 spring? You can try more powder up to the maximum load or use a 16lb spring. I'm guessing you're loading for target shooting so the 16lb spring may be the way to go when using Clays.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use 3.8g of Clays with a 230g LRN in a Baer PII with 1.5" accuracy guarantee. It is a pretty tight pistol. I'm using a 16lb recoil spring and it works fine. Did your TRS come with a 18 or 18.5 spring? You can try more powder up to the maximum load or use a 16lb spring. I'm guessing you're loading for target shooting so the 16lb spring may be the way to go when using Clays.

I don't actually know what spring is in it, but I'll try a 16# and see if that helps. I'm also going to load up some hotter loads tonight which will obviously fix it. Maybe these will cycle in my Wilson.

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
Tim I checked Baer's website and couldn't find it but I'm pretty sure they ship with a 18 or 18.5 lb variable recoil spring. I only shoot target loads in mine so I replaced the original with 16lb springs several years ago. A 3.8g load of Clays with the 230g LRN is a pretty good load for target shooting in my pistol. I think it will cycle your TRS with a 16lb spring. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,969 Posts
Remember the rule of thumb that your loads should drop 3' to 6' behind you, in a consistent pile. Adjust your load or springs if they aren't (as you've already figured out!). So if you change springs and get function, but the shells burp out and drop at your feet, or zing back 12', you still need to do a little tweaking.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts