1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone else notice in their April issue the plug/instructions for the LBT hardness tester?

I wonder how many folks will be trying to buy one of these things. I guess they'll find out that these testers haven't been available for quite some time since the chap producing them is behind bars and has had his equipment confiscated.

I always get irritated when these guys describe how great their stuff is when there's no way for any of us to purchase it. I'm not seeing it often these days, but I have a low tolerance level.

I'm so irritable that I really need to quit buying this stuff.

I will say that Handloader only costs $3.99 and always contains at least one article that's worth $4.

·
Registered
366 Posts
In one of the gun magazines I subscribe to there was an article about the same product. I think it might have been Guns & Ammo. Anyhow - one of the magazines I received in the mail this week touted a hardness measurer - the problem continues.

·
Registered
157 Posts
In defense of the magazines (which I write for, at least some of them) keeping track of all the stuff is not easy.

The timeline: Writer pitches test for LBT tester, or gets assignment. Writes/calls maker. Gets unit and tries it. (Two weeks to two months) Writes article, takes pictures, sends it in. Editor reads and approves. (Another two weeks)

Piece gets slotted for future issue, and scheduled for page layout. Print date could be one to four months off.

Printing, distribution, you read article. Total time from light going on over writers head to you reading it could run from four months to a year and a half.

In that time, Editor has many other things to do besides read the legal abstracts of cases concerning firearms and accessory manufacturers.

If maker was already in trouble when the cycle started, he'd be partway through his minimum sentence before you see the article.

By the way, what did he do? (Just morbid curiosity.)

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He listened to those morons who spout off about citizens not actually having to pay income taxes. Needless to say, he found out it's not that wise to act upon what he heard on the web.

This took place easily around 2 years ago.

The guy also made moulds that many folks love, so I hope he gets out of the slammer soon (maybe 3 years to go), generates some capital and gets back into business.

Being that he's been tagged as a "miltia wacko gun nut"(or whatever's popular these days), it's likely they'll keep him in forever.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts