1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I admit....a weird title but here it is.....
After every shooting session my fingers (both hands) are black with a suit/carbon looking gunk. I assume it is caused from my reloads. I load .45acp, 230gr bullets (precission and Zero FMJ), Clays 3.9gr, CCI primers with mixed head stamps. Also, the COL length is 1.250. Lastly, My brass is tumbled and washed everytime I load it. I always heard Clays shoots clean. What could I be doing wrong or what may be causing this?

·
Registered
441 Posts
I get the same results using Bullseye under a 200gr SWC. Never tried Clays and not near a manual, but 3.9grs seems a bit light for 230gr and a clean burn.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Yep, me too. I shoot lead bullets and my hands get very dirty. That's why I take a bar of Lava and small brush to clean up with after a shooting session. I also wash my arms and face before I leave the range.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Full Size said:
Ok, I admit....a weird title but here it is.....
After every shooting session my fingers (both hands) are black with a suit/carbon looking gunk. I assume it is caused from my reloads. I load .45acp, 230gr bullets (precission and Zero FMJ), Clays 3.9gr, CCI primers with mixed head stamps. Also, the COL length is 1.250. Lastly, My brass is tumbled and washed everytime I load it. I always heard Clays shoots clean. What could I be doing wrong or what may be causing this?
Sounds like you're doing everything right. That Clays load is valid +/- .1 grain. Not sure why the black fingers though. My setup is similar and the barrel, my hands, etc all are clean at the end of the day. In fact, running a pull thru/bore snake after a day at the range or match is pretty much all I need to keep things running smoothly.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
for the most part of my shooting I always use shooting gloves for that very reason. even then after I'm done shooting soap and water gets used just to make sure the residue is removed

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
I'm using 3.8g Clays with a 230g LRN and they shoot pretty clean. My fingers do not get covered with gunk. I pick up most of the dirt on my hands from reloading the mags. Could that be how your fingers are getting dirty? I shoot on an outdoor range so I carry Wet Ones moist wipes or whatever is the cheapest with me. I wipe my face and hands off before leaving the range.

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
It sounds like a combination of your powder, picking up brass and possibly your grip surface: Do you have rubber grips?

Whatever it is be sure you wash them shiny clean before eating, drinking or going home to the family.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies everyone. I guess at the end of the day I can just continue to wash my hands.
I see many others at the range shooting reloads with clean hands when they are done.
My Springfield TRP Operator does not have rubber grips. The brass is tumbled and washed everytime before reloading. It's an indoor range and I use a brass catcher so it never even hits the floor.
Maybe a hotter load would shoot cleaner? The gun is pretty dirty after 200 rounds too.
I'd appreciate any other thoughts you folks may have!
Thanks again
-Chris

·
Registered
187 Posts
"Hands turn black after shooting "

I love that when it happens to me and even better with some black on my face and shirt too. It tells me I was having too much fun!

Boresight

·
Registered
191 Posts
Not just your reloads. I shoot WWB, and can count on the web of my strong hand, and first knuckle of trigger finger to be covered with powder residue, etc. after a match.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Clays is about as clean as it gets. Your load should be good for a full burn. I've loaded some so light that they didn't get full brass expansion and that makes a lot of soot on the brass. I'm not very dirty after shooting a couple mags, but I always shoot 200-500 at a range session. I've always thought shooting pistols was dirty fun and carry clean up supplies along.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
;) I shoot 4.4 gr Bullseye, and 200 gr hard cast SWC. My hands don't turn black but do get very dirty. It is a normal thing. Cast bullets and hard lube are very dirty shooters.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you all for your repsonses and info. It seems to be rather normal and I'll just keep washing my hands!
Thanks again
-Chris

·
Registered
86 Posts
My brass is tumbled and washed everytime I load
Once you tumble it, you wash it? How dirty is your media? What media do you use? I read your initial post and this sticks out as the only thing noone else has touched on.

I use walnut media and add a capful of Liberty Polish to each load of cases. The media gets washed when it shows signs of darkening but once it's shiny further cleaning may not be necessary. How this translates into blackened hands I dont know but it might be that you're either leaving something behind in the washing or removing something that prevents oxidizing. Anyhoo, quit washing it and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
Yeah, tumbling and washing the brass might be overkill. I would only tumble it using corncob or walnut or a combination of both and a polish. I use Nu-Finish polish because it is cheap. I don't think the dirty hands is from the brass though. Like others said it is a combination of cast bullets, lube, and possibly the powder but Clay's is pretty clean. Another clean shooting powder I like it WST. I'm going back to it when I use up the Clays I have. A lot of the guys at the range are loading with Alliant's new Promo powder. The same speed as Red Dot but at less than $80 per 8lbs a good bargain. All in all it is as clean as anything else pushing lead bullets.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Quit being such a foppish sissy boy and ignore it. Lick your fingers when your done, or grab someone smaller then you and wipe your hands on their clothing or hair.

·
Registered
910 Posts
It has to be unburt powder on your hands - and like others said, it isn't that big a deal but try another powder - like TiteGroup and see if you still get the residue.

I use TiteGroup and I don't really see a problem with residue.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I noticed this too... but only at a certain outdoor range where the bench tops are astro-turf covered. Turns out that these tops get filthy and since it doesn't rain much here the powder residue and dirt just builds up. I thought it was my shooting but it was actually touch this bench and touching my guns after having been laying on the bench.

I started taking a gun rug with me and my hands are clean once again. I wash the rug after every trip.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts