1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in one of Springfield's Loaded line, but sense a lot of negativity regarding several aspects of Springfields on this board. Has anyone been completely or overwhelmingly happy with them? I dont want to spend this kindof money on a questionable pistol. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have one of the new "loaded" models (full sized, parkerized, Tritium Novaks). I paid about $550 for it and then had a gunsmith do a 3.5-4.0# trigger job, fit an oversized barrel bushing, recrown the barrel and finally ream the chamber. This work cost about $160 and made a huge difference. The gun was always reliable, and a good value and now it is a great shooter as well. Its not a Wilson or a Les Bear--I likes it though. Take care.

------------------
"Quid hoc ad aeternitatem?"

·
Administrator
18,614 Posts
Thor,
Your purchase of a Springfield is up to you. They do make good guns as well as GREAT guns. Like any of the other major manufactures (Colt, Kimber, Baer, etc) they will from time to time let something out that resembles a lemon. But what they will do is back it up and fix any problem with great customer service. No they won't wash and wax your car but they will take care of the gun.

Springfields are generally quite reliable and well made. You won't go wrong in purchasing a Springer in my opinion.

------------------
"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never do less." - Gen. Robert E. Lee

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I've got a blued Loaded that functioned fine out of the box. I use the gun exclusively for IPSC Limited 10 competition and finally at about round 1200 I had my first FTF. I've since done some customizing to the gun for competition but it continues to run well and is quite reliable. Next I'm going to have it hard chromed only because in some area's I've worn the finish down considerably from extensive use.

If you do have to deal with Springfield, you will be happy to hear that they've probably got the BEST customer service of anyone around. Debbie in Customer Service is outstanding!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I've got the 2001 loaded Champion in parkerized finish w/ nightsights. I couldn't be happier with it.

So far I've had to replace a link pin ($2) and a mag spring - I was upgrading them to 8 rund Shooting Stars anyway.

I really think the conical bull barrel helps holdthe muzzle down when firing. I'm back on target quicker than I was with my Colt Gov't. mdl. (MK IV series 80).

I did replace the stock grip panels (okay, a couple of times) and it now wears Ahends Tactial Gaboon ebony.

Overall, the gun's been great from day one. Would I buy another one? This is my second and now I'm eyeing a full size ss in .40 S&W to convert to 10mm!

Mac

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
thor

There is one aspect of boards such as this one that you should be aware of. Many boards attract more negative comments than positive ones, just because people need to vent. So for every negative comment you see, there may be 5 people that are perfectly happy, yet choose not to comment.

So an important thing to watch for when reading negative comments is see if there is any follow up, such as what happened when a pistol is sent back for service.

Also, take a look in the other folders. You will probably find just as many negative comments on any other major brand as there are concerning Springfield. Pistols are made by humans and sometimes less than stellar work gets sent to a customer. Every reputable manufacturer tries to avoid this, but it happens. Less than reputable manufacturers do not stay in business for very long.

------------------
Str8_Shot

The best handgun for self defense, is the one you have with you.

·
Registered
98 Posts
When you consider the number of individual guns Springfield sells in a year, the number of complaints is actually quite low. My own Experience involves an older MilSpec, A SS Loaded purchased last year and a new Champion. I have been happy with each purchase and have never had any kind of problem with these products. Good value for my money in my opinion. Regards.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your input. I realize that these boards do lean more towards complaints than praise. I just wanted to get a grasp of the general feeling towards the Springfield line. Now just need to pick which one.........

·
Registered
121 Posts
My SA Champion Parkerized (MOdel PX9511L) has about 300 rounds of mixed RN, HP and handloads with zero FTF or FTE, using the 2 supplied mags plus 4 SA mags I bought with coupons.

My only disappointment was heavy trigger release (greater than 6#, advertised 5 to 6#), but that has been remedied by local pistolsmith to 4#.

I'm quite pleased with the gun!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a TRP(old model) and was quite pleased with it but i have to send it back to them bec. the hammer is falling to half cock every 4-5 rds. I already had 8000 rds through the gun and thousands of dry practice as well. Another thing is that the grip screw bushings are loose. I asked them to tighten it. I even put a letter with it stating what the problem was and asked them if they could tighten the grip screw bushing. I received the gun back today after 3 weeks. The invoice note states that they've adjusted the sear spring and changed one of the bushings. I inspected the gun and the trigger is much heavier but without creep(5 lbs. per invoice notes). However i don't think that they tighten the grip screw bushings bec. they are still loose. Is this easy to tighten? I just don't want to send it back and spend another $30.00 on shipping and wait for another 3 weeks. Any suggestions? What should i do? Thanks.

Jag

·
Registered
88 Posts
Ok here it goes I am perfectly happy with my 2001 fullsize loaded stainless! I also have a friend with a older (3 years) mil-spec he has no complaints he did have to send his back to springfield due to the same problem jag had (his was caused by a bad trigger job he had done when he first got the gun) it came back in about 3 weeks with the trigger pull he wanted in the first place.

I do hear some people (normally those with smaller hands) don't like the "memory pad" on the grip safety of the loaded models.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I owned a bottom of the line mil-spec SA for 3 years before I did a thing to it. I shot it often and hard with no problems. they say that a 1911 needs work out of the box, not so. It can be made better, but it is not nessary. Don't buy a colt. the "C" in Colt stands for "crap".
Daniel

------------------
1 peter 5:8

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have had 2 Springfield loaded models, one I bought a couple of years ago and the other is the 2001 model. I also have a Kimber Pro Carry. Out of the box, the Kimber is the winner for overall quality of machining, fit of barrel and so on. I got rid of the first Springfield, and the second one I bought with the knowledge that even though the barrel wasn't as tight as it could be the frame/slide fit was tight. This second gun also had fte problem that was cleared up with a new tuned extractor (the one that came with the gun was a joke). I have put a new Kart barrel and bushing in it, a trigger job, and the new extractor and some tlc from Barlow's custom guns in Salt Lake City, and this gun is tops now. I think no matter what brand of 1911 you buy, it would serve you well to learn as much about how to judge the fit of the parts and such and be carefull in your selection because I have seen good and bad from all manufactures. I just looked at a stainless TRP full sized with machining marks so bad around the trigger guard that it looks like someone took a corse file to it... Geez Springfield, can't you do any better than that for a $1200 dollar gun???

1 - 13 of 13 Posts