1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I started shooting my Para LDA 7.45 again. I was getting into Glocks and this gun started to collect dust. I added trijicon night sights. Forum member Jay Crowder installed them and he did a wonderful job. They are dead on. I replaced the recoil spring with a Wilson 18lb spring along with his Bullet Proof slide stop, firing pin and extractor. I use Wolff 7-roun mags. I added the drop in front strap checkering that wilson sells for $8. I love it. The gun performs flawlessly.

I guess I stopped using the Para when I had two lemons with the Para Carry I bought. I went through two of them and they had so many problems I started getting into the combat tupperware.

The full size Para is great. I was at a bowling pin tournement yesterday and started off shooting my Glock 35 .40 target gun and was not doing that well. I switched to the Para with its LDA tigger and was getting 5 pins in 5 shots. I decreased my time average a whole second from my last tournement last month.

The only problem I have ever had with this gun was the OEM slide stop wore out and I replaced them with the Wilson series which are guaranteed for life.

I really like this gun. The accuracy and reliability makes it one of my best guns. It shoots much better than I ever will.

·
Banned
277 Posts
Yes, full-framed Paras are untouchable. I am not happy with all the BS I've had to go through on my C7, but I suppose if I finally got it right this time it's worth it for an ultimate carry weapon. Still, there's nothing grabbing my P14 LDA with 16 rounds of RBCD from the nightstand when a strange noise is heard at night.

·
Registered
70 Posts
5" vs 4.25" ?

I'm considering buying an LDA either full-size or CCW... Apart from any 'Carry' advantage, ('cos I won't carry it much if at all), is there a significant pointing or balance advantage with the CCW 4.25 bbl? .... Or does muzzle lift suffer appreciably?

I'm about to start a search but would appreciate your opinion. (Kodiak PA, or anyone)

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have had 3 Para LDA's. 2 Para Carry's and they were awful. Both broke at the first time at the range with factory standard ammo (broken thumb safety, extractors and ejectors) so I am a bit biased against the 3" barrel. I returned it for a Colt Defender and I am not that happy with any chopped 1911. I like full size guns.

I have no experience with the 4.25 bbl.

I am very satisfied with the 5". It sounds like you're looking for a home defense or range gun and the 5" offers several advantages. For the range or competition it has a longer sight radius. The all steel frames are tough and can take thousands of rounds. I for the life of me cannot think of any jams I have ever had other than shooting some handloaded semi-wadcutters that were perhaps too low powered. The LDA is the sweetest trigger I have ever pulled. The full size barrel will offer you more velocity for full powered loads. A Wilson 10-round mag will give you 11 shots for home defense and double taps are simple with the reduced recoil of the full size pistol and the LDA trigger.

I like the look fot he 4.25bbl and would try it if money were no option. I am very satisfied with the full size 7.45. It is my most reliable gun including the Glocks I have.

·
Registered
58 Posts
para 7.45 LDA and Wilson Combat Mags

I am shopping for a full-size 1911 for daily carry. I am considering (albeit with a great deal of suspicion) the LDA 7.45. I want a single stack and a 5" barrel. I have some new Wilson Combat mags (8rnders) that I picked up inexpensively and I'd like to know if anyone has tried them in their para LDA 7.45. My guess is that they should work fine.

Anyone out there carrying this weapon?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have used both the 7 and 8 round Wilson mags and they work great in my Para 7.45. I do recommend changing the 8 round springs every year if you keep the magazines loaded. Basically a Wilson mag spring is a Wolff spring and Wolff has been around >50 years and they make some nice springs. They won't tell you if they're extra power springs but I guess they are.

I also like the Wolff 7 round mags. In Wolff's FAQ regarding mag springs they state that 7 round mag springs can last for years fully loaded and be reliable.

·
Registered
244 Posts
7.45 Lda

it feels so good in the hand its hard to lay it back down when you pick it up.does it shoot half as good as it feels,thanks,keith

·
Registered
244 Posts
shot one today and it shoots great

with win fmj 230 and unique 6.5 grains fed pr. at col 1.260 does not like rainier 230 round nose at same spec for some reason,thanks,keith

1 - 9 of 9 Posts