1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a newbie here.

I have been conviced by my local 1911 fanatics to give up my Sig ways and come over to the dark side....

I have been researching this thing to death, and there are so many options....

I have heard a lot of positive about the SW products. Overall, have you been pleased with the gun? In comparision to other 1911s you have shot/owned how does it stack up?

I'm a simply paper cutter......no competition.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Found myself in the exact same position a little while ago. Finally gave in and traded in my Sig 226R DAK for a S&W 1911SC and I couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've previously owned five 1911's - two SA's, one Dan Wesson, and two Kimbers. I've always liked the way 1911's feel and shoot over other pistols. But I normally am disastisfied with the products due to cosmetic or functioning problems. A lot of people chalk that up to the nature of 1911's. I think if I'm paying good money, I should get a well made, nice looking, reliable product. For that reason, I keep going back to Sigs or Berettas. But this week, I again took the plunge, and bought another new 1911 - my first S&W 1911. Have only put 160 rounds of hardball through it so this is my tentative impression. It's the best made 1911 I've owned. The insides are finished better than the outside of some of my other 1911's. Fit and finish are great. The first two shots I fired from it (at seven yards to see if the sights were okay) went through one hole - exactly one hole and they were exactly in the middle of the target. A fluke, I know. But I considered it an omen and brought the target home for the wife to ooh and aah over. Nice trigger, accurate, and reliable with good magazines. (I had one failure to feed with an old junk magazine I was trying out - discovered the spring was bound up inside). Mine has the billboard engraving on it and the thumb safety has a plum-colored cast to it. Like you, I'm a paper puncher, but also will use it as a nightstand gun. Reliability is the big consideration for me. So far, so good but I'll wait 'til it's broken in for a final assessment. My Sigs and my Hi-Power have never failed to do anything but go bang after many hundreds of rounds. I'll be interested in seeing how this 1911 stacks up.

·
Registered
609 Posts
couldn't be happier with my full size stainless: beautiful and accurate gun

·
Registered
997 Posts
I have an early 1911SC . It never failed with any type of ammo , right out of the box . However, it's not perfect either . The trigger pull was heavy , and the barrel crown was imperfect . S&W customer service paid for shipping for both mine and a friends , recrowned the barrel , did a little bit to improve the trigger , and replaced the grips with a nicer pair without being asked . All free and in 10 days complete turnaround . It still needed a trigger job but I was impressed with the service . S&W has me for life...Tom

·
Registered
73 Posts
Happy with my Scandium commander

I went to a shooting class in which the instructor had a 5 inch scandium 1911 with crimson trace grips. Based on shooting his pistol, I traded a loaded Springfield Armory 5 inch for a scandium commander with the crimson trace grips. I would buy it again in a heartbeat. Mine has really functioned well, for such a light gun, the recoil is not really that bad. You do have to have a firm grip to have the grip safty engaged and for it to optimally operate. By this I dont mean firm pressure but it has to be fully depressed. I dont think you will go wrong buying this pistol
david 1911

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
The biggest risk you face buying your first S&W is that there is a good chance you will become a S&W junkie soon after.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I bought a target model, it shoots to point of aim. It shoots pretty good groups if I slow down. I like it so much I'm saving up for another one, probably an Sc model like a comander size. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I started a similar thread a while back when I got a chance to buy a SW 1911 at a good price. Question - which model? I purchased model #108284 which is made of stainless steel with adjustable sights and a full length guide rod. I know, I know! It isn't the way JMB designed the gun! But I still like it and it shoots great. It is both accurate and functional. And all at a great price. What more could you ask? :)

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
my second (for now five 1911's) was a S&W basic stainless with fixed sights. great gun and one fine shooter. i have been fortunate to have had the luck to get 5 fine 1911's thus far. very pleased with the S&W and would buy another without hesitation. i recently decided to upgrade my S&W and the smith doing the work indicated it was a excellant platform for what i was planning......Kart barrel, custom bushing, ambi safety (i shoot for defensive interests) and magwell.

you won't go wrong with an S&W.

be safe, shoot well. :rock:

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
The S&W 1911SC was the 4th 1911 I purchased. I abolutely love it. It's the nicest out of the box 1911 I purchased. I plan on buying more 1911s and they will be S&Ws.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have to agree with the others, the SW1911 is an excellent 1911. I have owned a Colt, a Springfield and a Kimber. I own two SW1911s and no longer have the Colt, Springfield or Kimber. I think that speaks for itself when comparing the SW1911 with other 1911s. I am not a person that gets out to the range on a regular bases :bawling: and I still shoot excellent groups with SW1911 :) . I do not think you will go wrong with the SW1911.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Smith & Wesson 1911

I bought a S&W 1911 ast year, I still have the gun. I would highly recommend the S&W 1911 as a "keeper".

:)

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
mitrod3 said:
my second (for now five 1911's) was a S&W basic stainless with fixed sights. great gun and one fine shooter. i have been fortunate to have had the luck to get 5 fine 1911's thus far. very pleased with the S&W and would buy another without hesitation. i recently decided to upgrade my S&W and the smith doing the work indicated it was a excellant platform for what i was planning......Kart barrel, custom bushing, ambi safety (i shoot for defensive interests) and magwell.

you won't go wrong with an S&W.

Hey mitrod3, you must post pics when your project is done. I'm interested to see how well a Kart Barrel shoots in the SW1911.:rock:

Best regards,
Joseph

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
yo....pics are on the horizon as soon as the gun is back in my hands and shot a few times to see if she does what i was told she would be capable of doing.

being basically a defensive shooter i was completely happy with the way she functioned and shot out of the box.....tight groups up close and COM out to 25 yards which was fine for me.

i do like to try some nice easy precision shooting now and again so when i found i had the means to upgrade a gun to "custom" level i chose the S&W to do that with. i am looking forward to what is coming back to me. the smith doing the work has done a number of local guns and they have been impressive shooters in the hands of friends at the range i go to.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought a SW1911 PD last year. While the pistol wasn't pefrect out of the box, the best part of bying a S&W is their awesome customer service. Five day turn around times are the norm.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts