1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new CQB Compact, and I am not terribly happy with the Armor-Tuff finish. I haven't put more than 150 rounds through the pistol, and the finish is wearing off the trigger. I suspect that the finish will begin wearing in other places in short order.
My question is whether or not any forum members have had their pistols hard chromed by Wilson? I believe that their prices are higher, but I was told by a Wilson representative that there could be warranty issues if the re-finishing is done somewhere else and there is a subsequent problem with the pistol. We did not discuss the type of problem that might not be covered under Wilson's warranty.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thank you,
proloader

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
PL:
Don't dispair...this is not uncommon for AT'd triggers, and does not reflect how the remaining Armor-Tuff on your pistol will wear. I wouldn't necessarily recommend a complete refinish on your new pistol because the AT on your trigger is "scratched off" in a few places.
However, if you absolutely can't live with the Armor-Tuff finish...take their advice and ship back to your Pistol to Wilson for hard chroming. The order number is #W201 - Hard Chrome Finish (Complete Pistol) Deluxe Prep. The key words here are "Deluxe Prep". The prep work involved in preparing your pistol for hard chroming is essential to a quality hard chrome finish.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Keith, Thank You

Keith:
Thank you for the advise. I'll give the AT finish a little time but will eventually, in all likelihood, have the pistol hard chromed, with the Deluxe Prep, of course.
The Wilson representative told me that they only have a high gloss finish, which surprised me since other finishers are offering both matte and brushed finishes in addition to the high gloss. BTW, thank you for your earlier advise about the full length guide rod. It does make the slide action a little smoother (or less noisy, in any case).
proloader

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
PL:
Don't know who you talked with, but the standard finish should be matte (unless otherwise indicated). I have several pistols on order with Wilson in Hard Chrome and specified that the slide stop, safety and the sides of the slide, frame be "Brush Finished" (all other surface areas will be matte). I have a Les Baer Stinger finished in this fashion (hard chromed several years ago by Tripp Research), and it looks great! As for the full length guide rod...I use them in all my pistols without any regrets.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts