1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Virgil Tripp's shop just did a beautiful brushed/blasted hard chrome finish on my old Premier-II. I'm usually not too bothered by finish wear on high-use guns, but this looks so sweet I'd like to keep it as nice-looking as possible. I have a Blade-Tech holster which works perfectly for me and I'd like to continue using it but I'm a bit concerned about how it might affect the new HC finish.

I've heard that HC is the hardest gun finish readily available and that the majority of wear in holsters occur with contaminants such as unburnt powder, sand, dust, which rubs between the gun and holster. I keep my stuff as clean as possible but was wondering will the kydex eventually begin to wear or polish the contact-points on the gun?

Thanks

·
Registered
15,320 Posts
long term

My HC'd Witness has been in-and-outta holsters, all moo, since '95? '96?

Lotsa times.......

Minimal wear marks; just the price for actually using the tool instead of admiring it.

Your results may vary; I don't personally care (because I only look at the sights, ay?).

·
Super Moderator
13,519 Posts
Hey Mitch:
Get a Sparks or Alessi or Bulman leather rig for that nice gat. :)

·
Super Moderator
13,519 Posts
Oh and more thing, quit spending your money on gun finish and save it for LAV and Hack's class instead. :p

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:)

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Meh92

I have a Hard Chrome SW1911 that I use with Blade Tech's IWB and Paddle holsters. Not a problem at all, you might get some streaks on the frame and slide but they just wipe off with no problems.

Regards,
Joseph

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Have a Springfield HC'd by Metaloy that has been in Kydex a lot at my local IDPA matches. We have a lot of dust. No visible wear yet. Get some black streaks on the bead blasted portion but that is kydex wearing onto the gun, not the other way around.

HC is hard and tough. Don't worry about it.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
203 Posts
JiminCA said:
Have a Springfield HC'd by Metaloy
Jim, I don't suppose you have a pic of that Springer? I am thinking about sending a Colt to Metaloy for matte HC.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Don't have a pic. The gun looks great though. The work was done by Larry Vickers so the prep work was already done.

I don't think you'd be disappointed with work from Tripp or metaloy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts