1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering having my 1911 hard chromed and would like to see a few pictures of yours for those of you who have had this done. Right now I think Tripp Research seems like the best choice, but Checkmate Custom also looks good. I'm still not sure if I want the brushed or bright finish, does anyone know if Tripp does bright?

So post your hard chrome pics if you've got 'em, or provide the link.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,987 Posts
Noah,
As a professional 1911 smith I can not afford to deal with Checkmate.
They have cost me several hundred dollars over the years with their exemplary lack of professionalism.
When I last dealt there, it was Sheryl Howard and Horace Booth in charge.
Mebbe it has changed, but beware.

Chuck

·
Registered
605 Posts
Noah,

This one was done 2 years ago by Bob Cogan at Accurate Plating & Weaponry, Safety Harbor, FL. I have been well pleased and just sent another one to be done a couple of weeks ago. The pic isn't real good but the hard chrome is!

Check them out at www.apwcogan.com

Mikey

·
Registered
614 Posts
Hi Noah-
I'm at work and can not post any pix, but I can definately vouch for Tripp Research. I've sent a couple of guns their way and have been extremely pleased.

I'd also take any advice given by Chuck Rogers.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Noah,

Chuck the "Pistolwrench" is telling you straight. DO NOT, under any circumstances deal with Checkmate. They are not professional by any stretch of the imagination and like Chuck they cost me a bunch of money to fix problems they created.

I have no experience with TRIPP Research but I have never heard anything negative about them.

·
Registered
177 Posts
One of my guns done by Tripp: www.pistolsmith.com/viewtopic.php?topic=1106&forum=8

------------------
Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. Churchill

·
Super Moderator
7,619 Posts
Another vote for Tripp from me.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

·
Premium Member
11,400 Posts
Forget Checkmate. A customer's gun rusted within a week after it was plated. They blaimed him for mis handling the gun to cause that. They did replate, but the turn around was slow and they lost some small parts in the process.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Originally posted by BBBBill:
..........and they lost some small parts in the process.
Seems to be an endemic problem with Checkmate. They also can’t put the parts back in the right place either!

·
Registered
697 Posts
Tripp, definitely. Had one done by them and I'm getting ready to send another. Here's the first one they did. BTW this is "brushed" slide flats with bead blasted slide rounds and frame.

Also, on the new one I'm sending, I e-mailed to inquire the additional cost (in addition to hard chroming the gun) to remove, matte-black Cobra Coat, and reinstall the front and rear sights. They said there was NO additional charge for that!

When you consider the already reasonable prices they charge, great looking and long lasting work they do, fast turn around, and their willingness to do the little extras, I don't see why you'd want to use anybody else.

[This message has been edited by hhsmiley (edited 11-13-2001).]

·
Registered
697 Posts
Tripp will plate anything you want them too, except the sear. If you don't want it plated I guess it's best to not send it. All the small parts are included in the price of plating a gun.

I totally disassembled my gun and sent the small parts I wanted plated in a separate bag. If you don't want to disassemble the gun, just make sure you specify which parts you want done and which you don't.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts