1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a picture of an AR-15 that has been hard chromed? I thought it would be cool to have a gun that you can blind your foes with by reflecting the light into their eyes.

------------------
Skunkabilly Records
www.skunkabilly.com
People's Republic of California

·
Registered
469 Posts
What would you chrome on it? The entire thing is aluminum and plastic except for a little barrel at the front. They call it "the Black Rifle" for a reason.

You ask some weird questions, man.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by McNamara:
What would you chrome on it? The entire thing is aluminum and plastic except for a little barrel at the front. They call it "the Black Rifle" for a reason.

You ask some weird questions, man.
I dunno, can't you chrome the metal (aluminum) parts?

As for the weird questions, I can only fantasize. ARs in all varieties are a no-no here.

·
Super Moderator
3,114 Posts
I recall seeing some AR-15's that Colt had finished in matte electroless nickel many years ago. I didn't care for the look.

Rosco

·
Registered
853 Posts
Originally posted by Skunkabilly:
I dunno, can't you chrome the metal (aluminum) parts?

As for the weird questions, I can only fantasize. ARs in all varieties are a no-no here.
Nope. You cannot chrome aluminum. As far as your "fantasies" are concerned drive on young man, "It's the stuff that dreams are made of."

·
Registered
50 Posts
It is possible to nickel plate aluminum. The finish is very simlar in appearance to hardchrome and is very durable. I have seen this process done on aluminum bicycle sprockets to improve durability and still have a lightweight part.

The process involves first plating the aluminum with copper and then nickel on top of that.

Here is a photo of the bicycle parts I was referring too. http://www.real-design.com/rings.html

[This message has been edited by dpetteys (edited 12-07-2001).]

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Yes, M16's can be finished either in a bright or dull nickle finish. A guy I work with currently owns an early AR15 which (as previously stated) was finished in a brushed nickle by the Colt factory itself. Around 1981, while attending the S&W armorers school in MA, I had the opportunity to visit the Springfield Armory museum. Among a vast array of outstanding firearms was an M16 done in a bright nickle finish, with standard black hardware. The gun was a presentation piece, I believe presented to President Kennedy at that time. They also had an M14 which had been presented to President Eisenhower which was a total knockout. See no use for the bright nickle finish in a tactical situation, but the brushed nickle finish would present no more problems than a stainless handgun, brushed nickle shotgun, or stainless rifle.

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
actualy you can Chrome alum.
I am pretty sure they flash plate it with copper and chrome over it. it is not nearly as hard as hard chrome per se.

also consider anodizind without color (clear)
but I am not sure if you can do clear in hard coat anodize or just hard coat in black??
the hard coat anodize is harder than tool steel and wears very well.
geo ><>

·
Registered
853 Posts
Originally posted by George Smith:
actualy you can Chrome alum.
I am pretty sure they flash plate it with copper and chrome over it. it is not nearly as hard as hard chrome per se.

also consider anodizind without color (clear)
but I am not sure if you can do clear in hard coat anodize or just hard coat in black??
the hard coat anodize is harder than tool steel and wears very well.
geo ><>
George, hard chrome, I believe, must have a ferrous metal to adhere to. You can flash plate with copper but nickle not chrome goes over that.

Anodizing looks really great on aluminum and there are all sorts of colors available when you anodize. If I wanted a trick looking receiver I would opt for Gold anodizing.

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Hi Patric

Check mate for one offers chrome on alum.
not sure what they put down first?? but they do offer it, it is well um not great.

You can do colors in traditional anodize we do handguards and mounts and base pads in black clear red blue exc...

but hard coat anodize is a different animal.
it builds a layer up inside and outside the alum. I do not "think" it is available in
color?? wonder if we have a resident anodize expert on here anywhere ???
geo ><>

·
Registered
853 Posts
Originally posted by George Smith:
Hi Patric

Check mate for one offers chrome on alum.
not sure what they put down first?? but they do offer it, it is well um not great.

You can do colors in traditional anodize we do handguards and mounts and base pads in black clear red blue exc...

but hard coat anodize is a different animal.
it builds a layer up inside and outside the alum. I do not "think" it is available in
color?? wonder if we have a resident anodize expert on here anywhere ???
geo ><>
I dunno George, I can't find the service you mention on the Checkmate site. How did you discover it, did they tell you they could do it?

Anodizing only allows the base metal to accept a dye. I saw a gun that was anodized and colored gold and thought it looked pretty cool.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts