1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had D.R. Middlebrooks (www.tacticalshooting.com) send the STI he built me last year to Virgil Tripp at www.trippresearch.com to have it hard chromed.

Mr. Tripp had the gun beautifully hard chromed and back to D.R. in 2 days! D.R. then did his magic and put the gun back in working order and had it back to me 2 days later! The quality of the finish is impressive.

I have never heard of such a turnaround for any refinishing work. I am very appreciative and will certainly send Tripp all of my refinishing business in the future.

Thanks!
Howard Benz
Memphis, TN

·
Registered
291 Posts
I second. My P7 left Honolulu on a Tuesday and it was back in my hands the following Thursday, 2nd day air both ways. Virgil gave me very good service and was MONTHS faster than anyone else out there.

·
Registered
65 Posts
HAA..

This is good to hear. My SeeCampKimTonics goes to them Monday for a complete hard chroming...

------------------
Good, bad, I'm the one with the gun!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I just got my 9x23 back from Middlebrooks/Tripp. Runs like a Rolex!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JoeMc

You gun looks really nice. Was it a 9x23 before you sent it or was it re-chambered. Are those Pro-Sights that Middlebrooks makes on your 9x23?
How do you like them?

What all did you have done?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Thew gun was a 9mm. It was fitted with a Bar-Sto drop in barrel. The sights are D.R.'s new version of the Prosights. Notice the dove tail doesn't go side to side. It goes front to back and is replacable with tritium ao white dot with a turn of the allen screw.
Also carry bevel,lowered and flared ejection port,beveled mag well,and all internals were changed and fitted. Took it to the rage at 15 yards- one raged hole. I kept the 9mm barrel in case I want to shoot cheap.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Joe,
Any chance you can show an arial photo of D.R.'s new removable ProSights front sight?!
Sounds pretty neat.
Thanks
Howard

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Yea I think so.

Its a front to rear dovetail with an allen screw lock. Looks good and works great.

[This message has been edited by JoeMc (edited 04-15-2001).]

·
Premium Member
7,097 Posts
Hey guys,

Just wanted to let you know, Tripp Research also offers a polymer/moly bake on finish.
I know it is available in both flat and semi-gloss black, other colors are a possibility.
Several of my customers have been so pleased with durability of Virgil's coating, that they have had only slightly worn blueing, replaced by this finish.
As added benefits, he is both a scholar and a gentleman.........and has quick turnaround!!

------------------
Chuck Rogers
Rogers Precision

GOOD-CHEAP-FAST
Pick any two.

[This message has been edited by pistolwrench (edited 04-15-2001).]

·
Registered
263 Posts
how long did it take for middlebrooks to do his work on the gun.

i plan to have the reciever of my colt 38 super hard cromed, very nice gun. i like it a lot. but want to break up the black.

glad i happened upon this post, thanks for all the info, and future replies.

------------------
Any gun will do if You will do.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
It was only a couple of months, not counting the Holidays Thanksgiving and Christmas. I am sending Virgil the reciever from my SA 9x23 to be chromed in a couple of weeks. He told me about 4 days.

I like to go thru gunsmiths when having the plating done since they know what tolerences you can plate and what you can't. Then they put the gun back together to make sure it runs. Its worth the extra time and money.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts