1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was considering display boxes for a few historic/commemorative 1911s but have some concerns.

#1 does anybody know of a good dealer of such display boxes?

#2. Are there any backing materials (felt, velvet) that are bad for long term storage due to oil absorbsion & corrosion?

#3 any other points suggestions you can think of?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I used a rubberized/hard foam material I bought at Hobby Lobby to line my gun safe. It comes in large squares about 36"X24" by 1/8th " thick which I glued to large sheets of plywood which has 1/4" pegs sticking thru to hang the guns on. It is soft but not absorbent so I don't think it can hold moisture. Bob

·
Banned
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion. Do you think it's presentable though? Form should certainly follow function, but when the function is display, form cannot be ignored.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
The size of your cases are the key. If a single square will cover it, it will look very nice. The squares come in different colors. For inside my gun safe I wanted all the wood and metal surfaces covered with a soft, yet durable material that would protect the guns when lying against or bumping against the surfaces when removing or re-entering a gun. Additionally I needed a composition that also would not attract or hold moisture (but that really isn't that much of a concern in the desert southwest. I spent an hour or more just studying everything Hobby Lobby had to use. Some even come with a sticky backing that just glues itself to a surface. Bob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts