1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
74,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm batting about the idea of a really cheap 1911 to use solely as a defensive gun carried in places where it may get banged around a lot. Has anybody dared to buy one of the Grade 3 Sistemas offered by JLD and CDNN? I know there's only about $40 difference between that and a Grade 1, but since I already have a boxload of repair parts I just need a functional slide and frame for dirt cheap.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

[This message has been edited by dsk (edited 10-17-2001).]

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
My personal opinion is not to skimp on any self-defense weapon. Don't be like the guy who wants to be a mechanic, but only wants to buy tools made in Taiwan. The most important guns you own are the ones you would stake your life on.

·
Administrator
74,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, so you think my Union Switch & Signal would be a good choice for the scenario in mind then?

What I'm saying is that I'll stake my life on any 1911 in good working order. The exterior finish isn't important. That's why I wanted to know if the Grade Threes are simply workhorses with a few blemishes or totally rusted junk.

------------------
D. Kamm

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Actually, you may as well go ahead and pick up a Singer for the occasion, or you could get by with an early fire blued Navy. Either would be not sparing the horses.
Seriously, though, 1911s are great. But, today, I think there are better choices and values for self defense.
For about the same money you'll tie up in a 1911 shooter that may or may not look like much, or actually shoot like much, you can probably pick up a really nice Sig Sauer P220 in .45 acp. The police distributors have been selling them off in excellent condition for about $350.
Nobody likes 1911s anymore than I do, and I do own a few. But, for the MONEY, the Sig is a much better value, and most likely much higher quality than what you can get in an old shooter 1911. Neither will have any collector value. And, the Sig will outshoot most any modified 1911 right out of the box.
I stopped trying to build match guns out of Series 70 Colts a long time ago after buying my first Sig. You couldn't spend enough money on the Colt to make it shoot like the P220.
I have carried 1911s cocked and locked off and on for 25 yrs and never had any problems. But, with the Sig action and de-cocker, I think you get a lot more utility and quality for the money. If the Sig P226 hadn't been less than $20 more than a Beretta 92F, it would have been the official U.S. Sidearm. I affirm the position that oyu do NOT need a thumb safety on a self defense weapon. The de-cocker assures you are ALWAYS ready. The 1911 thumb safety is there by virtue of the action, so we all don't end up accidentally shooting ourselves.
Just my opinion of course.

·
Administrator
74,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used to own a SIG P220. I didn't like it so I sold it. There was nothing wrong with the gun, but it just couldn't do anything a Lwt. Commander couldn't IMHO.

BTW regarding the bit about SIG losing out in the military trials, there are some of us who deeply feel it had to do with more than just a lower price point on the part of Beretta. Something about the new US missile bases that showed up in Italy soon afterward that has some of us scratching our heads. But in the end it really doesn't matter. Handguns are a highly non-essential part of the military arsenal, so the Pentagon could have selected the PPK and it wouldn't have changed anything outside political circles.

------------------
D. Kamm

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Just goes to show people have different tastes. Otherwise, we'd only have one car manufacturer, one gun manufacturer, etc.
Good luck finding what you want.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've got a Grade 3 from CDNN.

Very Good in terms of fit & function, barrel shows wear, but no pitting. Good slide/frame fit -no rattle. GI trigger. Shoots well.

Slide roughly reblued several times, markings on slide worn away, noticeable pitting on external areas, corners worn away from refinishing, dropped & bent rear sights, serial number on slide re-applied.

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
How can you even put the 2"travel 10 pound break trigger of a P220 in the forum. The only way I did was to trade it on custom additions to my 1991. Seriously the 220 is a good gun. With exceptional reliability and fair accuracy. But a 1911 is just as good but sometimes likes some attention. They have always been a love em or hate em variety.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts