1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my current personal defense load, and I like it. It's .45 ACP +P and it seems to be loaded with XTP bullets and a very low flash powder. Recoil is manageable, and the test results are good.

Only thing I'm concerned about is the bullet and primer are not sealed, which could ultimately lead to a no bang or delayed bang situation which worries me.

Is this a valid concern?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Daemonite,

I can tell you I carry this round exclusively for CCW. I've been told by several law enforcement locals that the ballistic performance on this Hornady round is impressive.

·
Registered
36 Posts
As for sealed bullets do not worry ,ask my wife she came home and found 1000 rounds soaking in the bath tub, she just looked at me and shook he head. All of the ammo went bang first time and every time:dope: By the way got the same look when she opened the freezer.

·
Hold my beer & watch this
5,570 Posts
I've had moments like that...:D

I plan on trying some Hornady when I run out of Hydrashok,I've still got 150 rounds left. Seein' as HS has always been 100% for me,I haven't tried to change. Gold Dot did better in very informal testing by yers truly,but it was not 100% reliable.

Lucky for me, the Cabelas in St. Louis has just about every type of ammo I care to try.

·
Registered
7,136 Posts
i have not, but i just noticed cheaper than dirt is having a big sale on hornady TAP .45acp

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also like em cuz they have the black nickel coated casings, they do load up smoother then regular brass...and they simply look sexy

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have been carrying the TAP FPD, 230gr. since they came out. I did some chronographing with my Kimbers, 3" Tactical Ultra and averaged about 775 fps. I then did the chronograph with the 5" TLE and the average for the TAP was about 885.

I haven't had any problems feeding or ejecting from either of the Kimbers. I shoot the two boxes loaded in my mags about every six months and reload with the new stuff.

I love it.

·
Registered
483 Posts

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I don't use TAP because its really expensive in my neck of the woods. However, I carry the same bullet, the XTP, loaded by Black Hills. Its always been a reliable feeder in my 1911.

·
Registered
7,136 Posts
ok, can somone explain for me http://stevespages.com/page8f45acp.html

does the black line(s) drawn on the jugs show bullet path? if so why are they all at a ~45 down angle?

does the inch # indicate distance traveled along the black line or horizontal? i dont know about others but i'd rather dissipate all of my .45's energy in subject before bullet exits, otherwise there's lost energy. 23" is a long path indicating too much energy or a bullet not optimally designed to deliver its energy is a short distance.

perhaps i'm just not clear on what these results actually show.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok, can somone explain for me http://stevespages.com/page8f45acp.html

does the black line(s) drawn on the jugs show bullet path? if so why are they all at a ~45 down angle?

does the inch # indicate distance traveled along the black line or horizontal? i dont know about others but i'd rather dissipate all of my .45's energy in subject before bullet exits, otherwise there's lost energy. 23" is a long path indicating too much energy or a bullet not optimally designed to deliver its energy is a short distance.

perhaps i'm just not clear on what these results actually show.
they angle down because the energy is lost and the bullet is starting to lose momentum.

also water jugs are different then people, we each have different variations of fat, muscle, organs and bones. What may enter 23 inches into jugs of water which are plastic and well water, may react very different when it hits a person and goes through skin, fat, muscle ribs, and maybe an organ or two.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm told that the XTP bullet is not a particularly good performer, particularly through intermediate barriers (denim). There are better options out there for a self defense load.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm told that the XTP bullet is not a particularly good performer, particularly through intermediate barriers (denim). There are better options out there for a self defense load.
yeah but for accuracy its real good, i just bought 50 rounds of 230gr Gold Dot LE +P for my new HD ammo

1 - 15 of 15 Posts