1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of all the ?'s related to mag problems they seem to be mostly related to Commercial manufactured mags or the Cage numbered GI mags,you very seldom hear of a complaint of the GI mags made from 1911 thru WWll,so my question is why buy Commercial mags when the above mentioned mags are still available and at sometimes cheaper prices then Commercial mags? I would venture to say that there were probably 8 to 9 million mags made from 1911 thru WWll and they are of a quality that just can't be beat,I have the "war time mags" and some commercial mags and I only use the commercial mags for plinking/range shooting,I refuse to use anything for CCW purposes except the war times mags. just my $.02

Stumpy

HAPPY NEW YEAR:D

·
Registered
377 Posts
Not all GI mags out there were approved by the govt. Some mags out there were rejects. This being said, two of my carry mags were ones my unit armorer gave me that he found in the arms room a couple years ago.

Steelheart

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GI mags,

Mags rejected by the government were not really GI issue or GI surplus(I know,I'm getting kind of picky here).The govt. didn't buy a whole bunch of mags and then pick and choose through them,if a % of them didn't meet spec's then the govt. didn't accept or pay for them,they rejected the whole batch and the contractor was stuck with them,never the less there had to be some defective mags slip through the process after the govt. purchased and issued them.Any mags that came to us because of problems were just smacked with a heavy hammer and thrown away,I didn't save springs,followers or salvage anything from them,just issued a replacement,nobody I ever knew repaired them as we were told not to waste our time with them,maybe that is why a lot of the GI issued mags with problems are such a low %,the bad ones having been weeded out,but that is not to say that there are not some bad ones still out there.

Stumpy

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I was a unit Armor for a bit and can agree with what Stumpy says. If we ran across a bad one, we trashed them and got a replacement. Come to think of it, we did that with a lot of things in the Army.

I took over the arms room right after the previous armor had replaced all the wood grip panels with plastic ones on the 1911's. Man if I could just go back to that dumpster now :)

Stacey

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Warhorse545,

Ain't that the truth,all the 45's that came in with problems were never checked to determine the problem,just replaced the internals,tested it and if OK just issued it back out.I would have gone wild in the scrap pile if I would have only known then what I know now,I did know guys who took stuff out of the scrap piles but at the time I couldn't understand why,in those days a note from any Ord. Officer would allow you to help yourself and I know a few guys were throwing away new parts just so they could go to the scrap pile and get them back out.

Stumpy

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
How do you tell GI mags from the rejects or other steel 7 round mags out there?

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How do you tell good v bad..

There really is no way to tell from an appearence stand point,only by testing/use,I have probably close to 4doz. mags,can't even tell you why I keep buying them,habit I quess. I stay completely away from the Cage Numbered mags & after market mags(although I did go in partnership on a big batch of mags once that might have been after market or ?,I gave most of them away) and so on,I prefer mags that show just a slight amount of use,I probably have close to 4 doz. GI mags(some as new),a couple of old used mags with split corner bodies,I silver braze welded them up and use them for speed drills and the like(I don't like ejecting good mags to the ground)I stick to the known military contractors. I picked up most of them from Army Surplus stores 50+ yrs ago,last several years from yard sales and in in various trades and so on,the Army Surplus mags were up to a dollar @ at the time,the rest were 2/3 dollars,I did pay premium(for me anyway) prices for good 2 toned and looped mags.

Stumpy

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Stumpy

Your right. If I knew then what I know now, I would be a rich man. We did toos out a lot of new stuff. I was tasked with making sure our TOandE was correct before an inspection and it was down right scarry what I tossed away.

Stacey

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Warhorse545,

Funny thing about cleaning out inventory to match your TO&E,I remember them throwing out a good size box(2x shoe box size?) of mag springs,don't even know why we had them as like I said,nobody ever repaired(or tried to repair) a mag.I had taken my own personal (near mint) Ihaca overseas with me so I didn't need any spare parts,had my 1stSgt. tell me to take what ever 45 parts I wanted when it came time to ship back to the states,did take about 2 of ea. "internal" parts out of a batch they were throwing out(that's my story and I'm sticking to it).They really never inspected us for being over on parts but mainly that we weren't short on parts and could get the guns out with the least of delay.I should have latched on to a bunch of the scrapped mags,I could have probably fixed a lot of them but they were so cheap to buy why bother with them.

Stumpy

·
Registered
828 Posts
Can anyone point to a source for "real" GI surplus mags? I've got one that looks to be GI-spec, little beat up but has worked fine for the little I've gotten to use it so far. Last gun show that I was at, one of the sellers had a whole pile of GI mag holders with two unused 7 rounders in each for $20 total. Maybe I should have picked one up.:p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts