1911Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seen an 870 in this configuration?
Obviously a deer hunters slug gun.
Looks like good quality furniture, possibly Boyds? The barrel is cylinder bore with a
cantilever scope mount.
Anyway, I bought it today on the cheap.
Once I give it a try I will report back.

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
How does it work for you?
Beyond 100yds?
If it works for you, good enough.

Scope and shotgun slugs seems like quite quite a divergence to me.
Never considered or tried it.
I did go to a rifle sighted slug bbl on my old 870 police shotgun.

Rectangle Font Line Parallel Screenshot

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How does it work for you?
Beyond 100yds?
If it works for you, good enough.

Scope and shotgun slugs seems like quite quite a divergence to me.
Never considered or tried it.
I did go to a rifle sighted slug bbl on my old 870 police shotgun.

View attachment 646051
I have not had it out yet. If I keep the cantilever barrel on it I have Sig Romeo 5 that will work fine instead of the crappy scope mounted at present.
I will certainly post a range report.

·
Registered
287 Posts
It looks like a well thought out gun for those places where you can't deer hunt with a rifle. Although just looking at it makes my shoulder hurt ... due to an old injury I just can't shoot shotguns or big rifles anymore. It's just not worth it. And I know if I had that I would really want to shoot it ... a lot.

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It looks like a well thought out gun for those places where you can't deer hunt with a rifle. Although just looking at it makes my shoulder hurt ... due to an old injury I just can't shoot shotguns or big rifles anymore. It's just not worth it. And I know if I had that I would really want to shoot it ... a lot.
The way this one is set up the scope bite to the brow would not be pleasant. My tolarance for kick is good, but this one is getting the Sig Romeo Five to protect from a bloody face.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I have plenty experience with slugs. I’ve cut down about every model you can think of and fitted with sights or scope. I had a 870 Wingmaster I bought new back in 1966. Matter of fact I just sold it recently. Because there wasn’t enough meat in top of 870 action to hold screws I used the offset base.
It also put scope low to bore. K3 and standard slugs would do 3” at 100yds. Back in smooth bore days Ithaca 37 DeerSlayer was most accurate out of the box.
Furniture Shelf Bookcase Cabinetry Wood

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have plenty experience with slugs. I’ve cut down about every model you can think of and fitted with sights or scope. I had a 870 Wingmaster I bought new back in 1966. Matter of fact I just sold it recently. Because there wasn’t enough meat in top of 870 action to hold screws I used the offset base.
It also put scope low to bore. K3 and standard slugs would do 3” at 100yds. Back in smooth bore days Ithaca 37 DeerSlayer was most accurate out of the box. View attachment 646064
My hunting buddy and I hunted Buffalo County in west central Wisconsin in the late seventies and it was shotgun only.
Steve and I drilled and tapped our 870 receivers for 760 Weaver mounts and mounted cheap Tasco scopes.
With Brennecke Slugs. they were game getters that printed well at 100 yards off bags.

·
Registered
806 Posts
We also used 742/760 Weaver mounts. Shooting slugs around here was year round. Slug matches were a big deal. Slug shoots were fund raisers for many organizations. We found that 870/1100s wouldn’t hold up if drilled on center line. Screws would put threads and if shot that way would actually reverse divot the screw holes. I know of no cases of extended use that didn’t end up that way. I dried and tapped dozens of shotguns for scope bases. The Rem 742/760 mount was the standard. The Browning A5 is another that don’t have much metal at centerline. My favorite slug gun I made out of a
A-5 Light that had been run over by owner. I almost silver soldered a piece of steel on CL to drill & tap but gun shot so good I left it alone. Drilling the older guns with steel receivers and never models with cast receivers was no problem. Guns with soft alloy cast I tapped with x32 thread, instead of x48. The coarse thread is better in soft metal.
We also use Brenneke slugs to hunt. Most of the slug shoots they provide the slug to give everyone an even chance. So you never know till you get there. Carried selection of guns sighted for the major brands.

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The tapping of the receivers never failed me, those old tasco scopes did not like Rottweilers after a few shots.
They were warranteed back then and the nice lady at Shopco would just give us a new one if one broke.

·
Registered
806 Posts
If you have smooth bore gun with scope mounted on action, I don’t recommend taking barrel off unless you have time to print gun and make any adjustments necessary. The barrels with cantaliever
type scope mounting is not affected by this.
In smooth bore guns as a rule solid frame guns were more accurate than models with quick change barrels. The old Sears & JC Higgins, Hi Standards and Win M25 were sought after to build serious slug guns. The ugly bolt action shotguns all shot very well.
Most slug matches were shot at 100’ and 100yds. Off hand only. Many shoots would have a random target at 200yds, 10” plate. It was a 50-50 shot. You payed your fee and if you hit you got half the fees
Me and Bro practice for running boar was targets in tires rolled down the hollow.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts