Thanks,,,

====================================

<><> Raspy <><>

·
Premium Member
9,375 Posts
I have seen and handled a few. If you look in gunsamerica you will surely
see some for sale under custom 1911s.

The pointability and control of a bobtailed 5" was the same as a 4" with me.
I was leary of the pistol being nose heavy but I was wrong. Again IMHO.

Regards,
Greyson

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
I had a 5" Kimber customized, "snakeskinned," and bobtailed. It looks like a bigger version of Ed Brown's Kobra Carry and from time to time people who see it from the next lane ask to see my full size Kobra. It looks good and handles well, with a bit less muzzle flip than a Kobra Carry. If you're interested in having it done I strongly recommend Marc Morganti to do it.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<><> I have held a Kobra Carry---but not
fired one... I liked the feel of it---it felt
really well balanced in my hands...

I was concerned that a full size would be
front heavy...

I have a Sistema that I've done a few mods
to that I was thinking of getting Bobtailed...

Thanks,,,

========================================

<><> Raspy <><>

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Raspy said:
<><> I have held a Kobra Carry---but not
fired one... I liked the feel of it---it felt
really well balanced in my hands...

I was concerned that a full size would be
front heavy...

I have a Sistema that I've done a few mods
to that I was thinking of getting Bobtailed...

Thanks,,,

========================================

<><> Raspy <><>
Fire at least a few magazines from the Kobra Carry if possible. It does handle differently from an unbobtailed Commander, and it does require a slightly different hold. Some people like it, some don't. A bobtailed full-size 1911 is a little more different. I wouldn't describe it as "front heavy" but the balance is different. I commented that it has a bit less muzzle flip when I shoot it. The reason is that the bobtail lets me use more of the heel of my hand to weigh down the gun's butt so the gun doesn't jump up as much on its pivot point with each shot, or maybe so the gun returns to its original position faster after each shot. The chief advantages for me are that it's quicker for good follow-up shots in rapid fire, it feels a bit better in my hand, and it allows me to get a proper grip faster because the bobtail puts the gun in roughly the same position in my hand each time. I don't know if my reasons are shared by other people because I haven't come across detailed discussion of these points. The usual focus is on appearance ("Looks cool!") and on generalities ("Don't like the way it feels") I think.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts