1911Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any problems with with guide rods in 4" Kimbers?

I had a recoil spring go bad causing jams. I replaced the spring and the plug but I'm still having problems. The guide rod is so badly pinged from the frame that it is deformed to the point were I have a problem taking it out. I have filed down the high points but it is still difficult to remove, it rubs the slide rails. I tried finding a replacement on Kimbers website but found none for the 4" barrels. A couple of e-mails to Kimber have not been responded to. Also, would I be better off going to a 24lbs recoil spring instead of the 22 lbs spring reccommended?

I also looked on Wolf Springs website but did not see what it was that I needed except for the springs. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, if anyone has a e-mail address for Kimber I sure would appreciate that too.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
What is pinging on your guide rod? My compact on the end of the guide rod slides up and down the barrel. The rod itself never touches the frame.

I would stick with the 22lb. spring that Kimber recommends. What model do you have?

plunker

·
Premium Member
5,967 Posts
I'd try contacting Kimber again, this time use

[email protected]

or call: (800) 880-2418

or the custom shop at: (914) 964-0771 Ext: 228

NOTE!!! (Don't tell anyone, but the custom shop number and extension is THE SAME as their warranty repair number......hint, hint.);)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Call Kimber's Custom Shop at 914-964-0742 and ask specifically for Dennis. He can solve you problem. Good luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what I meant

The plate that is attached to the guide rod that butts against the barrel lug. When the recoil spring went bad it allowed the slide to slam into that plate and it pinged the face of it. As the plate got wider, since the tolerances are tighter in a Kimber, it started to press against the slide rails, slowing down the action, and making it difficult to remove. Thanks for the input, I will try and contact them tonight.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my Model

Kimber Custom Compact, purchased about 1996 or 97, nothing special but a really nice gun. Shoots straight and have had little trouble with it up till now. Even though it is steel and a bit heavier than an alloy I still enjoy concealed carry with it.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
mdkoh

I suggest that as a minimum you contact Dennis at Kimber (as recommended), or preferably take your pistol to a local pistolsmith for an inspection. From your description it sounds like you may have more damage than you think. If you only talk to Dennis, discuss your situation, describe what happened and the results, then ask if you should send it back for an inspection. The reason I say this is, your guide rod is steel and your pistol frame is aluminum. If the slide hit hard enough to damage the guide rod like you described, the frame probably damaged as well.

Before you call, field strip your pistol and look at the frame (inside and out) where the guide rod sits to see if there is any deformed metal (battering) or cracks. Look to see what is preventing the guide rod from being easy to remove or install. Now trace your finger over the top, inside and outside of the frame rails. Do you feel any bumps, or places where metal has been moved? Next, put the silde on your frame, without the barrel and recoil spring, ang slowly move it fore and aft on the rails. Does it bind up anyplace, or does it run smooth? If it binds up figure out where.

Also, I recommend that you stop shooting your pistol until you have talked with Kimber, or had your pistol inspected. The reason is, since your pistol has an aluminum frame, if it is damaged shooting more can make it worse, possibly even with a new guide rod and spring. Some battering may be tollerable, but if it progresses, it may become unrepairable.

Str8_Shot

·
Registered
319 Posts
mdkoh - if you talk to Dennis, would you mind posting back and letting us know what he says or suggests?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Made of steel!

My lower frame is steel, not aluminum. As it stands it is the slide that is pinging the guide rod face. I will be contacting Dennis this week. Yes, I will let everyone know what happens.

As I stated earlier I have replaced the plug and spring, spring repalcement reccommended by Kimber every 2,000 rounds for the 4" barrels. That brought some interesting comments in other forums. I guess some think that springs last a life-time, I did until now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Made of steel!

My lower frame is steel, not aluminum. As it stands it is the slide that is pinging the guide rod face. I will be contacting Dennis this week. Yes, I will let everyone know what happens.

As I stated earlier I have replaced the plug and spring, spring repalcement reccommended by Kimber every 2,000 rounds for the 4" barrels. That brought some interesting comments in other forums. I guess some think that springs last a life-time, I did until now.

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
Re: Made of steel!

mdkoh said:

Actually, Kimber recommends 2000 rounds on 5" barrels and 800 rounds on the 4". I get about 1100 rounds out of my pro size before I change springs but I shoot light loads.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
mdkoh

I stand corrected. It appears that my memory has failed me, as I thought the Kimber Compact models had the aluminum frame.

Concerning spring life, recoil springs wear out depending on how long they are and their rated power. I suggest that you visit the Wolff-Springs web site and see what springs they recommend for your pistol. A good rule of thumb is to use a spring one grade stronger than the manufacturer provides. So if Kimber is recommending a 22 lb spring, give a 24 lb spring a try. The key is to have the heaviest spring that will control the slide, and still let you operate the slide.

Once you have talked with Kimber, if they will not send, or sell, you a new guide rod, you might try Wilson Combat. Wilson makes an almost identical pistol, and they sell replacement parts as well. They do carry replacement recoil guide assemblies.

Take a look at, www.wilsoncombat.com, and follow the links to the acessories or parts.

Str8_Shot

·
Registered
378 Posts
Doesn't sound like that big of a deal to me. I'd gently file the guide rod head until it'll go into the gun without dragging and call it good. If you're worried about it happening again try using a shock buff.

The slide slightly deforming the guide rod head is pretty normal, but I've never seen one so bad that it'd drag on the frame. Though my Kimber's is a very tight so if it had as much damage as I've seen on some old Colts it would probably drag like yours is.

I doubt any damage was done to the gun, I've seen 1911's with recoil springs that must have been worn down to about 10lbs shoot thousands of rounds of hardball with no problem. I don't blame you for worrying though, I'd have a heart attack if something bad ever happened to my Kimber :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts