1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Administrator
73,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the "how long will my XXX last?" threads around here, I am curious. Has anybody here ever actually worn out a handgun with use? By "worn out", I mean sufficient physical wear from shooting that it was no longer safe to fire, and/or rebuilding it was no longer possible or practical. I've shot many guns to the point that they became noticeably more sloppy, but never to the point that they suffered major breakage or were no longer safe to shoot.

If anyone has, how many rounds did it take?

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
I have a buddy, who has somewhere around 109,000 rounds thru his Springfield Professional. He has replaced the barrel, and the extractor. Pistol is still accurate and reliable.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Worn out pistols

I've never worn one out, but I've destroyed a few revolvers by shooting too many hot loads through them. Most ended up with stretched frames or bulged cylinders. Hot loads in my pistols only required minor parts to repair (grips, links, magazines, front sights, and plunger tubes). With standard loads, I don't think you can hurt them.

Harry

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
In my younger and stupider days, I wore out a S&W M12-2 by firing loads that were too hot for the alloy frame in it. Ended up stretching the frame and had tons of end shake, causing ignition to be erratic. It took lots of hot .38 Special handloads. Gosh, I was stupid.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just got my Milspec back from Springfield. It had about 30,000 rounds through it, and SA (under warranty) replaced the barrel, bushing, slide, sights, trigger, sear, sear spring, and plunger tube.

I sent it in because the barrel was shot out and the plunger tube had come unstaked.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
That is a good point, DSK.
Of interest, I talked to a VERY knowlagable industry pro the other day. The topic was the Glock 22. (mine is becomeing more popular with me) He told me that the biggest down side to the pistol, is that in his experaince and LE type stats, you won't find one with a service life of more then 50,000 rds. To him, this was disconserting. (his preferance runs to the 1911 and the Glock 9mm). To me, however, this was not a bad thing. I just though, "so for under 500 bucks, I can get a gun that will be shooting after I'm dead!"
I am very awear that some guys will destroy these in about 6 months. I'm not one of them, and I have other pistols that I shoot.

·
Registered
14,937 Posts
He told me that the biggest down side to the pistol, is that in his experaince and LE type stats, you won't find one with a service life of more then 50,000 rds.
It'd be a rarity to find any l.e.o.'s pistol with over 5,000 rounds on it. Friend is, in my humble opinion, erroneous. I wouldn't call him a liar, just an "exaggerating" bloviator. :)

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Colt Barrel "feet" separating from the barrel at 20,000 rounds..DOA. :eek:

Colt slide with a crack in the recoil spring area at about 40,000 rounds. Debating a "fix" or replacement given all the factors of rebuilding, cost, time, etc, etc. That's the question of "practical re-building" cost-wise.

·
Registered
509 Posts
i dont think its possible to wear out a 1911..i have over 118,000 through my kimber and tryin to get her to 200,000...i have rebuilt her with a new barrel and everything...i dont think its possible...my smith knows a guy down in AUSTIN TEXAS that has over 200,000 through his kimber...replace the parts tighten her and keep goin is what im thinkin...

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have a friend who was issued a 1911 when he first entered the Army - I belive in the late 80s. He said it was so loose that he could hold it and rattle it around until it fired.

God only knows how old that thing was or what it had been through or seen in its days.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Never really worn out a pistol. At 65+K rds I had to send my Sig 220 back for a new breachblock. It's still shooting just fine after the replacement.

I've broken the frames on several P228's, highest round count was 40K rds, lowest was maybe 5K or so. Gun was still 100% functional and still shot great.

I have a Smith Mod 14-4 with literally who know's how many rounds though it, I DO know it's well in excess of 150K rds, but also, all of those rounds were light target loads. It's still shooting great and is smooth as glass.

I've seen rental Glocks (mod 19 btw) with over 175K rounds though them, they were pretty rough looking but still worked just fine.

It's actually a rarity to wear a pistol out to the point it can't be repaired.

In fact I've only talked to ONE person that wore out a gun, PERIOD. It was a Rem 1100 and even the factory told him the reciever was worn to the point it couldn't be rebuilt without a new reciever (basically not worth it). The guy estimated it took around 100K shells to get it there.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
With all the "how long will my XXX last?" threads around here, I am curious. Has anybody here ever actually worn out a handgun with use? By "worn out", I mean sufficient physical wear from shooting that it was no longer safe to fire, and/or rebuilding it was no longer possible or practical. I've shot many guns to the point that they became noticeably more sloppy, but never to the point that they suffered major breakage or were no longer safe to shoot. If anyone has, how many rounds did it take?
Good question.....

Personally I don't know anyone who has but I will bounce this with the folks at the range the weekend (some of them way longer time shooters than me) and see if they have any first hand knowledge of a gun being "worn out".

Be safe, shoot well.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Jennings 22lr:biglaugh:
+1 on the Jennings. bought one years ago and shot a few rounds through it, then the breech face cracked right in half. at that point the breech face acted as it's own firing pin, and if you put a full mag in the gun, and racked the slide, the little POS would fire the entire mag full-auto without even touching the trigger. talk about safe!!

·
Registered
225 Posts
+1 on the Jennings. bought one years ago and shot a few rounds through it, then the breech face cracked right in half. at that point the breech face acted as it's own firing pin, and if you put a full mag in the gun, and racked the slide, the little POS would fire the entire mag full-auto without even touching the trigger. talk about safe!!
LOL, mine wouldn't do that but it cracked the barrel, it's a shame I actually like the little gun for a while(pillow gun):rock:

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I put 125,000 rounds through a custom .45 by Devel and its still going strong. It has had several trigger jobs, several extractors, and one ejector. I wouldn't call that worn out. The barrel is still excellent.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
It'd be a rarity to find any l.e.o.'s pistol with over 5,000 rounds on it. Friend is, in my humble opinion, erroneous. I wouldn't call him a liar, just an "exaggerating" bloviator. :)
No...not at all. I kinda made it a point to not tell the whole story because it is not really relevant. I agree that most LEOs will NEVER shoot this much which is very much my point. I'm sure I'll never shoot that much through any one gun either. Most of us will be hard pressed to "wear out" a pistol. We'll brake them, as I have, but that and wearing one out are two different things. There are those that do however. That was the point of my "friends" comment.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Had a old uncle the wore out a 44 magnum S&W.. He was said to load his handloads bye eyeball. What my Grandpa told me he did was fill the case to the top with powder and load a bullet on it!!!:biglaugh: When he shot it they said it sounded like a rifle. Often Grandpa said the cylinder would fall off and the gun rattled very bad. Some how he never got blown up he died of nautral causes.. The gun found its way to the scrap heap I think..
I actully have some of the 44 cases he used. The bullet will fall into the case...

1 - 20 of 52 Posts