1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hello Mr. Camp. I guess either no one has worn out a BHP or no one wants to admit to having done so. I hope to live long enough to give it a good try with my two BHP but so far they aren't showing much wear and I'm not getting any younger. Although my son may inherit these rascals in good shape yet, it won't be for me not trying to wear them out. He encourages me to leave them in the safe and I make a point of telling him when I've taken them to the range for a workout. Father Son bonding don't you know. Regards

B

·
0 Posts
Kurt Wickmann once emailed me and said the stock barrels wear out after about 20k rounds and the accuracy worsens. He also told me that he just replaces the barrel at that point. My local dealer who has more experience estimates that with regular factory hardball the pistol should last at least 30-40k with no problems. I assume after that small part breakage and perhaps loosening of slide fit may occur.

From what I have read over at www.hipower.com I figure 50k should be a ok figure.

If you can wait about 10 years or so I'll have an answer for you. I have about 2k through my C&S BHP and once my Wickmann one comes in the C&S will be the shoot to pieces experiment. The only thing limiting this is budget and cost of ammo. I should be done training and into good money in about 2 years so I'll figure I'll put lots of rounds through it at that point. Even if I put 5000 rounds/ year it'll be about 6-10 years before I have an answer for you. Of course if other forum members wish to send me ammo for this experiment I may have an answer quicker

·
Registered
136 Posts
Steve, I got my BHP in 1981 and I replaced the sear once. I split my shooting time between the BHP and a Gold Cup. The Gold Cup has been to the shop four times in ten years.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Ok, I give... hipower.com is a computer website. Is there a site regarding the BHP?

Mikey

·
Registered
697 Posts
Mr. Camp, thank you. I appreciate your assistance. Very nice looking site; I will spend some quality time there ASAP.

Mikey

·
Registered
394 Posts
Stephen, I have tried for the last 4 years to wear out my .40 Cal. High Power. No such luck. This gun has went to Chapman Academy two times in the last three years. It has digested over 10,000 rounds of my realoads (all lead) and maybe 300 rounds of factory fodder. It seems as tight as when new. The trigger has worn in nicely and breaks at under 4 pounds. The custom Heine front sight went over my sholder at or near the 9,000 round mark. Other than that, maybe 3 or 4 failures to feed my reloads in all 10,000 rounds. What more could I ask? Shoot Safe.....CO

------------------
"I won't be wronged, I
won't be Insulted, and I
won't be laid a had on. I
don't do these things to
other people and I
require the same from
them." From the movie
"The Sh

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Mr. Camp, Here' one I hadn't seen before. I received a 1971 vintage HP in the shop from an NYPD officer who apparently shoots it a lot - I have no idea how many rounds, but the barrel locking cam in the frame actually has broken in half. I suspect that one side had come unbrazed, and that was the source of the breakage, since that half actually fell out of the frame. This kind of aberration aside, I think if one takes care of the gun it will usually outlast the shooter with the exception of the occasional shot out barrel.

------------------
Don Williams www.theactionworks.com www.pickagripcom

1 - 13 of 13 Posts