1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Gold Cup that has the eliason rear sight and I want to replace it with a more durable sight and was hopeing that someone has come up with a solution.

I've seen the wichita and wilson sights but was wondering if anyone made a fixed sight similar to the ones that go in place of the bomars.

·
Registered
729 Posts
A few questions in order to help you?

Is it a Champion brand Eliason sight? http://www.championgunsights.com/proddetail.asp?prod=860-301 later sights have a larger pin.

Does the pistol have a flat top or a round one? I think that Millet is the only company that makes a direct replacement.

have you searched here for a solution, such as peening & loctite on the current sights?
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?p=2311300

& of course Why do you want to replace them? Your only option may be to have the slide machined to accept a different sight cut.

If you want to carry this pistol, and that's why you want a more durable sight, make sure you have a holster appropriate for the wide trigger. Otherwise you are just putting money into a good gun that could go towards a new gun :)

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it has the flat top and this is the one gun that I won't sell since it was left to me by my late father. I just want a gun that I can take out and rag on a bit without having to worrya bout the sight.

As far as the wider trigger, it'll fit in one of my safari lands or I can mod one of my kydex holsters.

I appreciate the info and I was up late last night trying to look at all of the replacement sights and I couldn't find one that was fixed.

·
Premium Member
11,666 Posts
Wide Gold Cup trigger should not matter since it is still narrower than the standard width trigger guard. Ned Christiansen at Michiguns Ltd. - www.m-guns.com - had made custom fixed sights to replace Eliason/Gold Cup sights.

http://www.m-guns.com/gallery.php Look at pics 28-35. Now that one is milled in/blended to the slide, but it will give you an idea of the options that you have.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Wide Gold Cup trigger does matter since there have been discharges while holstering.

Wide Gold Cup trigger does matter since there have been discharges while holstering.

Your call whether negligent or accidental but it has happened beforeand what has happened before likely could happen again.

I'd ask John Harrison about sights - his Bomar replacement has great references/reports. I know of no Eliason direct replacement fixed sight without welding - of course if the gap/hole doesn't matter something can be done. I've had more trouble with the tall and heavy front sights on the tenon than I've had with the rear sights in wad and light plinking load use.

Wilson Combat offers a direct replacement adjustable that is claimed to be better - maybe it is - and might be persuaded to do that fixed I have no idea. I'd also ask George at EGW. I have used a Millett to replace the Accro and found it entirely satisfactory but not superior to the Elliason - I'd have been happy to use an Elliason to replace the Accro but the Millet came along first.

Many people have been satisfied to go O/S on the pin perhaps with a material they thought better and call it good.

·
Registered
442 Posts

Your call whether negligent or accidental but it has happened beforeand what has happened before likely could happen again.
I hate to break this to you, but there have been discharges with the regular trigger too.

Put me in the "they left their finger in the trigger with the safety off, tried to holster their gun, and then blamed the wide trigger for the discharge...." camp.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
I'm with you, richyoung - I've carried a Gold Cup in an IWB holster for 15 years without incident. But I never reholster without finger straight, safety ON.

As for the Elliason, Champion makes them now for Colt, and by using a spring steel roll pin and a sliver of Shok Buff between the bottom of the slide and the sight, just big enough to cause a little compression at your normal sight setting, most people have no further problems. My Delta GC has an Accro, and it has never had a problem. Back in the Day, Wichita made a longer BoMar type sight that covered up the machining cuts on the Gold Cup slide when installed. You might look for one of those. Don't know about the durability of the Wilson sight - anyone have one? CC

·
Registered
608 Posts
Col. Colt, I have a Wichita on an old NM that is just great.I wish someone would go back to making them or that I could find someone with some for sale. I really do like the one I have. Nick

1 - 10 of 10 Posts