1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at their web site and I noticed a mag they call their match grade SS mag. Has anyone tried these?

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Nothing "match grade" about a magazine. Terminology has infected almost everything in the handgun and rifle market. McCormick magazines are excellent, and I own several myself. You can't go wrong with McCormick or Wilson mags.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Are theses Matchgrade mags generally better than the Powermags or is it the other way around? Its just that they seem to be listed for less than the powermags (Brownells 53 and CMC website) although at a gunshow I went to, the matchgrades were more expensive (okay just by a dollar) than the power mags. Besides, I kinda like the welded base plate with the removable pad as well as the better-looking finish (the powermags seemed to have a much duller SS finish than the matchgrades). Are the powermags also available in this configuration? Anyway, i ended up buying the Matchgrades since the clerk and another customer seemed to have more faith in them than the powermags. I've yet to find time to shoot with them yet though but they seem to feed better than my mecgars and the spring "feels" better.

I also saw some blued CMC mags with a dull finish (blue cardboard insert) which were described by the salesman as "first generation" (inferior?) CMCs. They cost almost half as much as the Powermags and the Matchgrades. Does anybody have any experince with these? The blued finish really looked sloppy on some. They weren't polished blue like my Mecgars just plain dull blued.

·
Registered
180 Posts
My experience with CMC has been outstanding. I had a few Shooting Stars that my Springfield Champion did not like. I called Armand at Chip McCormick and he sent me a Power Mag to try, no charge. If I liked it I could buy it. I sent him my 6 Shooting Stars and he sent me three more Power Mags. Basically 4 Power Mags for 6 Shooting Stars, a more than fair trade. All of this was done with CMC paying the shipping. Both Armand and Linda in customer service are outstanding. I do not know what Chip is paying them, but they earn their money as far as I am concerned. I will buy Power Mags from now on. Also they are made very well, feel more durable than my Wilson magazines. They a have me as a loyal customer.

77Bronc

1 - 5 of 5 Posts