1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own an older Stainless Target II, which I love and shoot alot.

Ive been tossing the idea of adding another Kimber - an Eclipse Target II. Upon looking at various listings online, Ive noticed on the rear sight, that there is now an allen set screw on the ejection port side, at the dovetail area (look above the slide serrations on the pic below). Anyone know what that screw is for, and if older models can be retrofitted?

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
The Eclipse Target II uses the Meprolight bar dot adjustable sights, whereas most of the other models that use adjustable sights are Kimbers plain black ones. Not exactly sure about the set screw though. Never had to remove it on my Eclipse.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
I don't know what it's for, but on mine it's doesn't look like a threaded hole. It appears to have a small roll pin in it.

Whatever their reason is, I can tell you it's not a new idea.
This gun is an early target model.

My Gold Match II that was made in the mid 2000's, has no such thing.
Anyone wondering about the odd serial number should know that that's not the serial. It's just a cloned 2 that was cloned several times to cover the serial number. It was easier to do that in picasa that it was to erase it in a photo editor.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have a pre-series II (no firing pin block) with adj sights and it has a allen set screw on the side of the sight base. I believe the purpose of the set screw is to prevent the elevation screw from moving.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Well now that is interesting.

I dug mine out and it is in fact a set screw of a type. One of the tools that came with the gun fits both the trigger set screw and the set screw in the sight.

It seems that the Kimber sight is oddly different from any other I have used. It makes me think of the lock bar M1 sight. This sight has no detent that the elevation screw clicks off from. I think the allen screw acts as the detent. Without taking it apart. I would guess there is a spring and ball detent behind the screw.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have an old Stainless Target (Series 1) that had the set screw in the rear sight. It shot loose and disappeared outdoors while I was teaching a group to shoot. I shot it for a while like that had no issues with the sight. I eventually called Kimber support, and after some confusion, they realized the age of my pistol and told me that they had changed the rear sight in newer models and no longer used a set screw. No discussion of why, but my experience indicates that the pistol is better without it. In any event, Kimber replaced the sight at no charge. That's indicative of the support they have provided over the years and partly why I stick with Kimber.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts