1911Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a recent purchaser of an SA 1911. Mine too went back for the hammer following. Not sure, but it my go back for jamming too.

Anyways, in July of this year there was more praise for these than any other pistol around. Now, things seemed to have slide. Does anyone here work at SA and can explain what has happened? Does anyone have an explaination?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Just got one too! I hate to say it but I also think so
Ever since they put that "Brazil" logo on and stop using wood grips. The machine work has been a little rougher and I had to do some feed ramp work(was'nt feeding SWC). I really hope the quality in the metal has'nt fallen too, also the finish sucks(rubs off easy).

·
Registered
587 Posts
I purchased a SA mil spec (with a couple extras) last March and it seems to be as good quality as any other 1911 I've seen. It didn't come with the ILS nor does it have Brazil stamped anywhere. Do they all have the Brazil stamp now?

·
Registered
274 Posts
I ran 350 rounds through my 3 today with no problems at all. I'm very satisfied so far.

------------------
Auggie
SA ss Trophy Match
SA UC V-10 Bi-Tone
SA ss 9mm (bagless)
Ruger MK II .22
Awaiting SA/XD .40

·
Registered
172 Posts
Originally posted by Tim:
I purchased a SA mil spec (with a couple extras) last March and it seems to be as good quality as any other 1911 I've seen. It didn't come with the ILS nor does it have Brazil stamped anywhere. Do they all have the Brazil stamp now?
Do they all come with the "Brazil" stamp? Not sure but I know the guns out of their Custom shop does'nt have the stamp.
The stamp is on the right side of the dust cover(forward). Not sure when they started the stamp or if it ended.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Within the last month or so I purchased a TRP and a Micro Compact. The fit and finish are excllent and they have both performed flawlessly.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good to know Batwing. Don't get me wrong, I like my gun. Actually I like it so much that I hate tto seend it back. Fortunately, I'm out of the country and cannot shoot it anyways, right now!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Both of mine are recent purchases, and each has the ILS (which I just ignore). Both are as good in fit and finish as any production gun I've ever owned and far, far, better than alot of late-model Colts... plus they have both run right, right out of the box... no complaints with quality here.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Do they all have the Brazil stamp now?
No, but according to Springfield, eventually all of their Mil-Specs will be made in Brazil. Right now, if your Mil-Spec doesn't have the "FI BRAZIL" stamp, it was assembled/machined in Illinois.

When I purchased my Mil-Spec in October, I specifically requested one without a Brazil stamp. Does that affect the quality of the gun? I doubt it, but I've been very happy with my purchase thus far.

·
Registered
418 Posts
The frame and the slides are made in Brazil for the mil-specs and loaded models. The guns are still assembled here.

TRP's and Trophies slides and frames are made here and have a little more hand fitting to them, like which slides and frames are tighter together, same as barrel and bushing. This is what Kimber does for the Gold Matches.
All the mil spec and loaded use MIM parts, as do the TRP and Trophies. These are the screws, slide stops etc, just like Kimber

The they have the Custom Shop, all hand fitted and lapped, hand honed and tuned.

Interesting side note, Kimbers slides and frames are made from forgings made by Smith and Wesson.
Wilson slides and frames are made to Wilson's specs by Kimber. They start out oversized and then are hand fitted and lapped together.

·
Registered
454 Posts
hey fortyfiveshoote, where did you pick up
that info in your side note? SW,kimber,and
wilson all connected? that is very interesting i would like follow up on that
if you could share your source i would be
greatful. thanks

·
Registered
402 Posts
mohecus, an article in American Handguner, I think maybe a year ago, about S&W talked about them selling the forgings to Kimber (frames and slides) and Kimber sells to Wilson. Wilson buys theres over size for hand fiting. These are probably some of the finest forgings available. I don't think there is any kind of connection between these firms. Only that they do business with each other. I have a Kimber Custom and a new Wilson CQB. There is a little family likeness between them but that's as far as it goes. It's who puts the gun together that counts. Shoot Safe......CO

·
Registered
418 Posts
I asked Wilson who made their slides and frames. I was told they were made to their spec's, So I asked if they were made there, guy said no...but there were Wilson frames made to their spec's.
After a couple minutes the guy told me that the company Kimber bought used to make them then Kimber took it over, but the slides and frames are different than theirs. The Wilson slides and frames are oversized for gunsmithing.
Then last year, or early this year there was a gun mag that wrote this huge proSmith and Wesson article, talked about the Performance Center, how many employees were there, how many generations of families worked there etc, in the article they talked about all the other services that S&W provided, tool making, machined parts and what businesses used them. In that article they showed pictures of crates full of forgings marked "kimber" and stated that they made the forgings for them.

This is how I ended up with a Nowlin instead of a Wilson.
Wilson's is a gunsmith shop, they make nothing there. Everything is made to Bill's spec's and then put together at Wilson's. Don't get me wrong, these are nice guns and put together well, with very good parts.
But at the time I was looking for a custom gun I had a Kimber Gold Match, I wanted something special, something made for me.
When I talked to several places everything was this model or that model, or this package will work. Or we can do that, but I don't know why....
Nowlins wasn't like that. They make their own slides and frames now. Caspian used to, but they do it now, they make their own barrels and alot of other parts right there and the service has been great.
Springfield's Custom shop has been great also. My Nowlin was my functional good looking gun, and I wanted a KICK ASS one. I really got pumped about it after I read about Larry Vickers in American Handgunner. I spoke to him, very nice guy very straight forward, said he had a long waiting list and would be better off getting a loaded gun that he could work up instead of a mil-spec. Well I wanted what I saw in the magazine, but didn't go with that. Sametime I was thinking about going the other way and getting a Baer Presentation Grade, the $6000 engraved gun. But wanted some special features, talked with Les once about it, I didn't want all the engraving on the frame, so less engraving, no front cocking serations, hard chrome framed some other things different. Les said price would be less since there was less engraving, sent in pictures of what I wanted, came back with a quote of $6000. Called several times to find out why, final answer was all Presentation Grades are that price no matter what feature. So I was back on the Kick Ass gun trail. Couldn't get ahold of Steve Nastoff, Richard Heinie has a 7 year waiting list and the more I read and researched the more I realized that the features I wanted were on the SA Pro model. Hell the FBI put that gun thru hell and back and it passed. Had to work for me!!
And it does!!!

At the IDPA NAt's this year Wilson's and Baer, Para, STI and Smith all had tables set up. You couldn't shot the Baer's or the STI's but you could the others. I made the right choices in guns for me!!
here is a link to my photo albums
http://community.webshots.com/scripts/controlPanel.fcgi

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Springfield mil-spec here,

Brazil stamp, ILS system - about 400 rounds through it so far with no problems, other than a balky magazine (follower moves forward and sticks on mag tube edge) when trying to insert first round. No biggie.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I have a 2000 Champion Loaded, that took a couple of hundred dollars to get right, ie, magazine didn't fit frame well, I had mag catch built up, safety tube plunger was loose, wouldn't feed hollowpoints reliably, finish flakes off very easily. Everything is fixed now except for the matte finish, and a springfield rep told me they would re-finish it, but no guarantees it wouldn't start flaking again, oh well, it's just my beater gun now, but it shoots pretty good and the reliability feed job has it eating up everything! It is a Brazil FI gun. Would I buy another one, probably not, but that's just me.
Regards SonnyD

·
Registered
820 Posts
I have a Mil-Spec stamped Brazil on the frame as well. I bought it new last March and have put about 1000 to 1500 rounds through it. I had a few FTF's when I first got it, but no other problems. It takes anything I feed it. (usually ball ammo, sometimes speer gold dot or federal hydrashocks.)
I had lower expectations for the gun when I bought it, however I was pleasently surprised with it's performance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just took my new stainless ultra out of the box and finished the
cleaning. The fit and finish is excellant. I did notice a few sharp edges so while I had it apart I took a small, very fine stone to the sharp edges and it now feels comfortable to. I went outside and ran 150 rounds of ball ammo through it without any problems. This is my first Springfield pistol and so far I am very satisfied with it.

·
Registered
455 Posts
My PX9151L SS cracked the slide at just under 300 rounds .
Springfield said that some of the stainless slides were heat treated twice.
In a little over a week from the time i shiped it to them i had a new one. I sent them just the gun and the sent me back everything in the box ( so i did get 2 more magazines )
the gun was going back to them anyway the gripsafty didnt work from day one. I was going to wait untill it got cold out to send it back .
I had spent about 5 hours takeing all the sharp edges off and geting the triger where i wanted it and had to do it all over again to the new gun (which i was not happy about )
I have a PX9141 .40s&w that has been a great gun so far.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts