1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do I do?

I have a Super Tac with the 1.5 and love it. I bought it because it is from what I have researched the same gun as the SRP but with adjustable sights and no golden box to run up the price.

So I have been itchign for a new gun and thought maybe since I have a TRP and this Tac why would I get another 1911. That being said I have been looking at Glock, sig, HK, ect and just dont think I can make the switch.

I love my Tac and really cant justify a Wilson or Brown since I dont think I can get a "better" gun but perhaps a different one that just costs more. Not sure if my logic is correct but I cant imagine another gun better then my Tac that has never malfunctioned and shoots scary tight groups.

So my dilema is this, going to be going for my CCW very soon and just getting letters and what not in order so another gun would be nice to put that 3rd on the list but not so sure I want it to be a Glock. I have been thinking that if I shoot so well with my 1911's why try and carry something so different like a Glock to throw me.

My thoughts wer at first the CQB but I like the Tac so much I dont think that that CQB is priced right or "better" then even the SRP priced the same.

I live in California so I am limited to some choices but I think I want to get the TRS as another CCW option on my list of 3. I thought of doing hard chrome or something like that but I have seen pics of a worn blue job and I just think it looks unique and very pretty. Its sort of like a pair of your favorite jeans that are worn into comfort by you.

So my questions are as follows:

1) Does blue protect the gun well?
2) Is the TRS going to make me happy I bought another 1911?
3) is it true the 1.5 option means more hand time on that pistol?
4) any places to buy from? I bought from SportingArms before and it was great but are there cheaper places?

And any other input about Les Baer pistols would be great. From my understanding they are all the same platform but different options as far as finish and rounding edges ect. I know the 1.5 option isnt necessary but I figure if its true that the extra hand work is put into it that its worth the cost. I know my Tac has not a tool mark on it and its a dream to shoot as well as to look at.

Also I have the Sprinco system in both my guns and so far it has been great. The logic of it makes sense and it really makes my guns feel so much different then others I have shot. I would like to protect my new investment so what better then another sprinco and my lead reloads for target shooting to prolong my pistols life.

Any thoughts on this and should I have this on the TRS as well?

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh an another concern I have are all the recent words about the CS at Les Baer. I have watched the youtube videos about his upcoming move to Iowa and while the people against it are total idiots he seems like a very cold guy.

I have to say I love my gun but from what I am reading lately and his apparent attituted I have to be honest in saying I am considering Wilson or the like.

Any thoughts about this because I really like my pistol but I havent had any problems that needed to be taken up with him either. I would love to stay with my Baers but I really hate when CS is like this but then again I only know what I am reading on the net which is typically BS to begin with.

I imagine he deals with idiots crying for warranty work when its was their fault so its hard to shut off the anger to us honest common sense type folk.

Maybe I will call him up and see how that goes first hand, lol.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No love?

Its ok I think I am going to get the TRS anyway after sleeping on it but some input would be nice.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Hi Brian Welcome aboard! I know the feeling of wanting another Baer. Since this is for carry, I think a 3" @ 50 (standard) would be a great option. They do loosen up considerably enough for carry.

The bluing will protect well if maintained, but it is thin and will wear away with regular use and holstering. Hardchrome is the most resistant to the elements and wear.

Sporting Arms IMO sets the standard for great service, but there are others that have bought from John at ProLoad. I haven't used him, and Becky at SA have been a pleasure to deal with, so naturally I won't stray from loyalty... but I don't think you can go wrong from Proload also. :)

The TRS would be great though. It's probably the most popular Baer around.

Early congrats! ;)

·
Registered
513 Posts
I have owned a great many Les Baers. Let me answer your questions as best as I can.
Blue doesn't protect the gun too well. The edges will show holster wear. And I like to keep a coat of Birchwood Casey's Barricade on the outside to protect from rust. That said I find a nice Blue finish more appealing than the Shake and bake finishes. They also show wear and scratch off fairly easy.
I think the Thunder Ranch is one of the best values out there, when you consider the Wilson CQB is now going for over $2400.
The 1.5 option I have never looked into as most Baer guns shoot better than the person behind them.
Les Baers service is hot or cold. depending on the mood he is in on that day you call him. But the guns are built like tank so service is usually not a factor.
If I don't seen anything exciting pop up next week at the Shot Show, I will probably order a New Thunder Ranch.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I like to get the 1.5 option not because of the gun not being better then me since we all know that isnt going to ever happen but more of the extra hand time on it.

As for the blue I never wanted it until I saw Black Majiks pistols all nice and worn which looked killer then the shake and bake as you call it.

It wont be holstered since I will have to carry it in a sissy purse fanny pack due to my job. I am a Physical Therapist Assistant and have to be up close and personal with patients in their homes. I do home health so I travel house to house in a very bad city which is San Bernardino. Coincidentaly its the same county that is very libral with CCW's and my good friend from Safari Land is friends with the Chief so that sort of helps, lol. I cant have the risk of it ever showing and freakign out an 80yr old lady when she discovers her therapist is packing heat, lol.

Any wy I will have to do the man purse thing which sucks but atleast its with me and I will feel a bit better passing buy a group or 4 guys dreaking beer and seeling drugs 30yrds behind my car which happened last week. Actually it wasnt teh 4 guys that scared me it was the one dude at the start of the dead end block with his hands in his jacket watching the traffic in and out of his "hood".

So back the gun, I really dont mind the blue job on the TRS and if I care for it like I do all my things will it be ok and not rust? I oil my guns often and always clean them after a range day ect. For a carry gun I would likely keep it oiled weekly for peace of mind.

I just want to be sure I love this gun as much as my Super Tac because I cant justify buying the SRP which is all that would be "better" then what I have. To my understanding all Baers are the same minus finish and some options and if I like the blue jop and care for it I want to be sure I am happy with my new purchase.

PS I might just buy a holster to run it in and out of to get some sweet wear marks on it like Black Majiks pistols, lol. Man I just think that looks so much better then the other guns on here.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Sportingarms.com just qouted me $1929 on the TRS with 1.5 group. Does this sound like a good price?

It seems prices went up because my Super Tac with 1.5 was like $2100 which isnt much different. I could be off on my price but from what I remember $2100 sounds about right since most other places wanted the retail $2300 and this is why I went with sportingarms the first time around.

I called proload and cant get a price since Baer is talking about increases so John doesnt want to misqoute me. However after talking to him I cant decide if the TRS is what I want or the Custom Carry. I planned to change out the thin grips for carbon creations on the TRS and he gave me a heads up that I would need to change the grip bushings and it requires a tool to do this. No big deal but now I started thinking about the Custom Carry and want to narrow it down to these 2 pistols.

For a carry gun is it really going to be better as the name implies or woulf the TRS be a better option.

Also John didnt feel the 1.5 option was money well spent so I need to decide what the reasons for me getting that option are or if I shouldnt get it. Obviously its not because I can shoot 1.5 groups at 50yrds but I thought the extra hand work might be worth the cost and assurance of knowing it had extra "love" to it but what exactly does this entail?

So I am not sure what the main difference is between these 2 guns so if you guys have any more advice it would help me.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Hi Brian,

There are a few differences between the Custom Carry and TRS:

off the top of my head (CC and TRS respectively):

Serrated vs. Checkered MSH
3 hole vs. solid trigger
regular vs. thin TRS grips
Ambi vs. strongside thumb safety
Regular logo vs TRS logo on slide

I chose the Custom Carry for two reasons, I prefer standard width grips, and I didn't like the Thunder Ranch logo across the slide.

Plus... a TRS wouldn't match my PII :)

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think one other big thing is that the TRS comes with 7rnd mags not 8. So I would then order the Custom Carry plus buy 1 extra mag since it only comes with 2 but atleast they are 8 rnds.

I also dont want to dink around with the grip bushing and in this way just slap another set of the carbon creations on it.

What about the 1.5 option, worth it or not?

And since you have a blued gun what are your methods of keeping it rust free? I would like to use Mobil 1 but am not sure if it would protect the metal from rust. If there is better stuff I suppose I could buy it but I hate all the hype for gun specefic lubes when I dont feel they are much better then anything else out there yet are way more expensive for a fraction the amount.

Thanks Black Majik since you have this gun I would love to pick your brain more if you have any other thoughts on it.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
For myself, the 1.5" option is useless to me. I can't come close to 1.5", or even 3" at 50 yards anyways so the extra cost for the accuracy guarantee isn't worth it. It'd probably worth great for a bullseye shooter, but I'm far from it.

As far as the bluing, my area isn't humid so I don't really worry about rust. I clean and lube it weekly since I shoot regularly so it doesn't really have a chance to rust. The bluing is pretty weak, and will get worn quickly with a kydex holster, but as far as keeping it protected from the elements... as long as it's wiped down every once in a while and lubed it shouldn't really be a problem.

Of course, YMMV depending on where you live.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
What do you use for lube and grease on the gun?

I am wanting to use Mobil 1 but have this hang up about going against the grain and using a car product on such a high end gun.

I suppose I should play it safe and use something good. I have both CLP and tetra gun products right now. I sort of like the Tetra gun spray since I can get a nice coat on everything easily then whipe it back off. Also their grease seems very good and I like the idea of keeping grease on the rails.

I guess the 1.5 option wasnt for accuracy purposes but knowing that the gun had the so called 8 extra hrs of hand work to it.

Can I ask what you think about the SRP? Having the super tac already I dont think its much different but I read many saying its the best for carry and Les Baers pride and joy so it has everything spot on as far as trigger ect.

What about this stuff I read that its the best and they sell both a grease and oil but what would I use for cleaning? They say to clean the guns to start fresh with their product but I want to be sure and not hurt the blue finish or my Baer coat.

http://www.militec-1.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=militec1&Category_Code=1

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
What do you use for lube and grease on the gun?

I suppose I should play it safe and use something good. I have both CLP and tetra gun products right now. I sort of like the Tetra gun spray since I can get a nice coat on everything easily then whipe it back off. Also their grease seems very good and I like the idea of keeping grease on the rails.

Exactly that. CLP and Tetra grease is what I use. Grease on the rail with a little oil floater, and CLP everywhere else

Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with the SRP, I have shot a 1.5" Supertac which was superb. So, I can't really compare the two. Only real difference I notice is fixed night sights vs. adjustable night sights, and 2.5" vs 3" @ 50 yards. Plus the SRP comes in a nice box.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
LOL, yeah my Tac is pretty sweet but its why I bought it vs the SRP with out the killer box.

Some guy on another forum said this Militec didnt prevent rust but it says it does and people are going crazy about it. I think I may try it out and see how that goes. Anyone offering free samples has to be confident in theit product.

So you think the Custom Carry with no 1.5 option is the way to happiness?

·
Registered
670 Posts
I love my SRP. It is my favorite Les Baer. Get the Bear Coat one, not the Hard Chrome one (it's too pimpy for me :biglaugh: )

James

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Yeah but have you seen Black Majik's nice and worn blue pistol?

Honestly there is nothing to me that looks more sweet then that worn look on a blue job.

The only thing keeping me from the SRP is that I feel my Tac is nearly the same gun so for a good carry gun I am thining the Custom Carry vs the TRS but am 99% on the custom carry at this point.

I noticed that the Custom Carry comes with a full length guide rod but most the other pistols dont. What is the reason for this and when I put a Sprinco device in it should I use the short version like the one I have in my Tac or get the full length version if thats how the Custom Carry was designed? I suppose I could pull one of them out of my other guns and try it to see how it functions then decide from there. I just worry that Les made it a full length rod for a reason.

My TRP had a full length guide rod and seems to be doing fine with the short sprinco but that gun does have an occasional jam with a failure to eject on my reloads. The Tac has never had this so I am guessing its just the TRP that isnt as reliable as Baer's.

If you guys have opinions on that Sprinco I would like to hear them. So far I have 2 of them and they have been perfect but for carry I know many say stick with less things that could fail like the regular guide rod it came with. The main reason I seem to like it is that apparently it saves the frame from extra hit energy when the slide comes back and its also possible to then use a lighter recoil spring which also takes more pressure off the front of the frame when the slide returns. Sounds good to me and I would hope by using it that my guns take less abuse over the years and this is why I choose to use them. I spoke with the owner at Sprinco and he trusts his in his EDC gun and backs it up with a lifetime warranty.

Part of me thinks that if I am paying for and buying a pistol that Les tunned for reliability then I shouldnt change anything in it but that fear is sort of blurred since my Tac seems to like it and has proven itself for about 2-3k rnds.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Yeah but have you seen Black Majik's nice and worn blue pistol?

Honestly there is nothing to me that looks more sweet then that worn look on a blue job.

The only thing keeping me from the SRP is that I feel my Tac is nearly the same gun so for a good carry gun I am thining the Custom Carry vs the TRS but am 99% on the custom carry at this point.

I noticed that the Custom Carry comes with a full length guide rod but most the other pistols dont. What is the reason for this and when I put a Sprinco device in it should I use the short version like the one I have in my Tac or get the full length version if thats how the Custom Carry was designed? I suppose I could pull one of them out of my other guns and try it to see how it functions then decide from there. I just worry that Les made it a full length rod for a reason.

My TRP had a full length guide rod and seems to be doing fine with the short sprinco but that gun does have an occasional jam with a failure to eject on my reloads. The Tac has never had this so I am guessing its just the TRP that isnt as reliable as Baer's.

If you guys have opinions on that Sprinco I would like to hear them. So far I have 2 of them and they have been perfect but for carry I know many say stick with less things that could fail like the regular guide rod it came with. The main reason I seem to like it is that apparently it saves the frame from extra hit energy when the slide comes back and its also possible to then use a lighter recoil spring which also takes more pressure off the front of the frame when the slide returns. Sounds good to me and I would hope by using it that my guns take less abuse over the years and this is why I choose to use them. I spoke with the owner at Sprinco and he trusts his in his EDC gun and backs it up with a lifetime warranty.

Part of me thinks that if I am paying for and buying a pistol that Les tunned for reliability then I shouldnt change anything in it but that fear is sort of blurred since my Tac seems to like it and has proven itself for about 2-3k rnds.
I think a Custom Carry would be a superb carry pistol, but then so would a TRS. The Custom Carry comes with a GI rod and plug, just like the Premier II does. The biggest factor IMO when comparing the CC and TRS, would be whether the ambi safety becomes an issue because the weakside safety is exposed. For myself, I would have no problems carrying a pistol with a ambi safety, the Baer pistols have a pretty stiff safety, so unconsciously clicking it off isn't much of a concern for me.

However, I baby the hell out of my CC, so I carry my Kimber instead. :)

Otherwise, both the TRS and CC would be great. They're so similar in so many ways that it's a coin toss on which is better (slight favor to TRS for single side safety).

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
Two guns??

Pretty good idea?

How much do you shoot a month? It might be good to use one for practice and one for carry.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Black Majik I guess its an error on the LB web site then because if you click the link for CA approved pistols on the main page the description says the CC has a FLGR.

Well as far as the ambi safety I am right handed so its not needed however I havent considered it as a potential issue of getting bumped while carrying.

The small things that make we want teh CC vs the TRS are that I wont have to change grip bushings and I want the 8rnd mags not the 7rnd ones.

Is the ambi safety really an issue because I would think that if by some chance it were clicked off you would still have to press the beaver tail and pull the trigger to make it go bang. I cant imagine how thsi could ever be possible when the trigger is not exposed and is tucked down into the holster. I also notice that on my Tac the ambi safety is tight and takes more then a bump to move so I am sure it would be fine but this is an interesting point.

I cant imagine Les making a gun named CC and having design issues for its purpose.
Any further thoughts on this?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
No love?

Its ok I think I am going to get the TRS anyway after sleeping on it but some input would be nice.
Brian, I have a TRS (my only Baer) and I love that gun. I just can't imagine why anyone would be unhappy with a TRS. Mine is:

-100% reliable;
-Crazy accurate (w/o 1.5" option);
-Extremely well made;
-Beautiful;
-As sturdy as an anvil;
-Says "BOOM" every time I pull the trigger;
-Produces one hole groups @ 10 yards offhand with generic 230g. ball.

What's not to like?? If I were to go to war, I'd take my TRS and leave my other handguns at home. It's what I carry on a daily basis.

I had to put regular thickness grips on mine due to a physical problem with my right hand which caused my shots to go wide left (4-5" left of X @ 10 yds.) initially. After I got a set of grips on it that I could get a good palm weld on (Gatorbacks) my shots fell dead center.

I also sent it off to Walter Birdsong and got it finished in Black-T. It is completely black, including the section of the barrel you see thru the ejection port in the slide. It looks great!

As far as customer service and "the way Les is," I have no complaints. I talked to Les on the phone about my shots going wide left with the thin grips. He sounded gruff, but was polite. I sent in the frame to have grip screw bushings installed that would be compatible with full thickness grips and was charged a token fee($8 American, IIRC) and the gun was back in my hands within one week of when I sent it to them.

I was reading a gun test article written by Masaad Ayoob about the Baer SRP 1911 the other day at Barnes & Noble (can't remember which magazine, but it is on the newsstand at present). Mas had nothing but good to say about Les - he said he has known him for decades and he says Les is a stand-up guy. Mas also had nothing but praise for the SRP 1911.

He told a story about testifying as an expert witness where an LE officer was being railroaded over a justified shooting for political purposes by a prosecutor. Ayoob testified once and had to go on to other duties when the defense needed him to reappear in court. He couldn't do so, but Les stepped up and stood in for him when Mas asked him to do so. Sounds to me like Les is a stand-up guy, too.

As far as Les and his personality, he is passionate about 1911s; he has dedicated his life to building the finest 1911s (and AR-15s) you can get. I get the feeling that he views himself as a very high level expert as regards building fine 1911s - and justifiably so.

As such, he seems to be adamant about what he knows to be right and what he knows works regarding 1911s; a result of that is that he has little patience for fools, jackasses, people who screw up a perfectly good 1911 that he built and then try to get him to fix it for free (showing a total lack of responsibility for their actions) and for people who are going to "tell him how it is" regarding 1911s that he himself has honed with his own two hands.

I can't blame the man for any of that.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts