1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like I can save 100 bucks or so by ordering my TRS from Sporting Arms instead of direct from Les Baer. Forget about local shops... higher than retail prices, plus I have to pay tax.

I have heard that Sporting Arms is a reputable dealer, but I wanted to specifically ask the Les Baer owners if you'd purchased a Baer from them, and what your experience was!

· Registered
3,612 Posts
I would highly recommend Sporting Arms for a Les Baer purchase. I called them to place my order and talked to Becky (I think that's her name). She was very proffessional and nice. They had my gun in stock and shipped quickly. I had my local gun shop mail a copy of their FFL to SA, and the gun was in my hands less than a week later. The tax savings was substantial. I didn't even have to pay my dealer a transfer fee, because I am friends with the guys :rock: who work there.

If you haven't heard, Les Baer guns are shipped in a plain cardboard box, no frills. The gun is in a baggie, soaked in CLP. I field stripped the gun and lubed it. It took two men and a boy to rack the slide when it was new, now it's smooth and tight. I'll never regret buying it.

Just my 2¢

· Registered
1,232 Posts
Additional cost

Most dealers that are willing to accept a firearm for you will charge you for their work in getting that firearm. They have to send off a copy of their FFL to the shipper, and depending on the state, your still responsible for the sales tax. If your local dealer can't beat or come close to Sporting Arms or any other mail order dealer, it's time to find another dealer. Most that I know will beat their price by the time you factor in the additional charges.

· Registered
118 Posts
I've heard nothing but good things about sporting arms.I got mine however through "gallery of guns"-they were linked to my local dealer,placed the order online,and it was automatically sent to him.Price was close to sporting arms,no transfer fee but I did pay sales tax-also happy to give my local guy a sale as he treats me right with all.

· Registered
238 Posts
Yes -- I ordered the base model PII from Sporting Arms and am extremely pleased.

First, Becky took the time to get a quote, and email it to me on a custom pistol I was thinking of ordering (but went with the in-stock PII, instead). That impressed me. Second, the price was fantastic. And third, they seem to have a couple models in stock.

· Registered
116 Posts
Just received my LB SRP from Sporting Arms this past Monday. No problems at all, except the waiting time. SA didn't have it in stock, so Becky had to order it from LB. I was given a 14 wk estimate, but it was more like 17 weeks before I finally got it (not SA's fault . . . back up was with LB; plus it included the Thanksgiving holiday). From talking with a couple of LB owner/friends who also received LBs that had to be ordered, I'd add about 20% to the quoted wait time, if the gun isn't in stock.

P.S. my new SRP is BEAUTIFUL . . . and the workmanship is extraordinary - - well worth the wait. Already put my Lazzus grips on it. (Pictures forthcoming after X-mas, if Santa brings me a digital camera).

Bottom line: do your deal. Sporting Arms has a great reputation and is dependable.

· Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I appreciate your input, guys. I always prefer to deal with a local shop if I can, so I think I'll see what a couple local shops are willing to do on the price. If that doesn't work out, I'll give Becky a call.

· Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ah, screw it, I'm not gonna bother looking around... I ordered a TRS from Sporting Arms today :)

I wonder what the odds are that it's in stock?!?

· Registered
93 Posts
Baer From Sporting Arms

Nate:

I ordered a Custom Carry from Becky at SA back in late September. I knew of the wait and I can live with that (barely! lol). I live in Dallas so I was able to go by and visit with Becky while deciding what custom features I wanted. She is a gracious lady, and I am absolutely certain you made the right choice.

· Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UPDATE -

They actually had one left in stock, and I will have it this coming Tuesday! Well... okay, my FFL will have it for 10 days after that. But still... pretty good luck that they had one left in stock, right?

I'm going to head over on Tuesday so that I can take a look at the gun!

· Registered
1,465 Posts
They are first rate people. Glad ya decided to go with them SVTNate. Sorry for the 10 day wait. And your going to LOVE the TRS. Wipe it off and run 500 rounds down range and get back to us on how hard it is to break down :) They are tight, but mine has always ran like a top. I had my worries on spending that much for a pistol till I shot mine. Not a single worry left. It goes where I go.

Stacey

· Registered
1,118 Posts
Yes.

They were easy to work with and very friendly.

Ask first, but if you send them a check instead of paying with a credit card, you will probably get a couple of percent off the price, as they don't have to pay that percentage to the credit card company.

Chris

· Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
...So should I even attempt to field strip the gun prior to shooting it? I was thinking about putting a little grease on the barrel hood, and running some oil down the slide rails, and just shooting it. Is this a bad idea, should I strip and thoroughly clean the gun first?

My local shop will have the gun tommorrow, I can't wait to see it!

· Premium Member
1,890 Posts
Warhorse 545 gave you good poop - take it out of the designer brown box, take it out of the luxurious Ziploc bag, wipe it down, and proceed to shoot it for 400-500 rounds or so.

If you need to add a drop or two to the barrel hood, bushing/barrel contact and/or rails after a few hundred rounds (which is doubtful but theoretically possible), do so, but no preparation is required other than that above.

If you haven't bought a good aluminum bushing wrench (Brownell's sells a nice red anodized one), you'll want to get one. The slide will eventually run like it's on ball bearings, but don't expect the bushing to be finger tight in the slide anytime soon. :D

Have fun - you made a great decision!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.