1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you have had to try an assortment of magazines before you found one that wuld accomodate both your reloads and factory ammo with no FTF's?

------------------
If you don't mind being where you are, you are not lost.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
I have done the magazine circus, mostly hoping to find a cheap source for mags that will work consistently. I have not seen or heard anything about mags feeding factory ammo differently than reloaded ammo. I would be very interested in hearing more about that.

What I have found, as with many others, is that each gun has its own personality, sometimes by individual guns, sometimes by brands, or by model. For across the board functionality, Wilson mags have done the best for me. None of my guns have rejected them, but some won't do Metalform and some won't do CMC.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have owned over 20 different 1911's and used only Mec-gar mags. They are all metal, no plastic follower and have ground edges. Also you can't beat the price at around $12.00 they are a real value. Try one and you will not be disappointed!

·
Registered
541 Posts
I AGREE CAN'T BEAT MEC-GAR FOR THE $ BUT WILSON DOES MAKE ONE HELL OF A MAG.

·
Banned
1,324 Posts
Wilsons are as good as it gets. I also really like the Mec-gar's no problems ever with them. The military contract mags have always worked great for me, I like to use them in mil spec guns. I also have abot 30 CMC mags, ussually work great, but have had a few bad ones.

------------------
DEATH TO THE NEW WORLD ORDER!

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Oh yes, I've been to that same circus, saw the monkeys and the clowns too. After I finally figured out that my $700 gun was no good if the mags were cheap save-a-bucks and would not feed, I began the practice of only one brand, and it aint the over priced Wilson. I have settled on the McCormick Power Mag and I could not be happier. They work in every 1911 I own and some that I dont own. I dont use Wilson's not only for the price, but the plastic follower is a weak point.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I' at the Wilson freakshow booth right now. Getting FTF's where the round just sits in the mag, pushed foward about 1/4 inch from the back of the follower.

My FTF's come at around the 100 shot mark. Could dirt effect the mag performance?

My Wilson mags loose tension as they reach the last couple rounds, could that be why the round just sits on the follwer?

------------------

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Here at the circus, you thought you were going into see the lions and lion tamer, only what you got was the bearded lady.

All mags lose tension as you get closer to the last round. That has to do with the physics of springs. Are you saying that the rounds aren't failing to feed properly, but that they aren't feeding at all, never leaving the magazine? If so, you may have a problem with how your gun is cycling and not with the magazines.

For example, you noted the problem with reload ammo. Right? Is the reloaded ammo loaded with powder comparable to your factory ammo? If you are loading light, meaning that there is less power (as many reloaders do for practice purposes), then your issue may be that the problem is with the reload differing from the factory load in relation to the recoil spring. If your slide is able to pick up factory rounds from the magazine, but not reloads, it may be that the slide is not being forced back with enough power for a complete cycle. In other words, the slide is moving back far enough to eject the spent round, but not far enough to pick up the new round. This can happen with light loads that don't have enough force to overcome recoil spring tension. You may need to either up your loads or use a lighter weight recoil spring for factory loads.

As with the high wire act, this is a balancing act - balancing components to work properly together.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Double Naught Spy,
I am reloading 200gr Hornady Combat target bullets (turnicated cone design, rounding off to a small flat point) and the 200gr XTP's. I load theses rounds on the hotter side (800FPS)in a CDP with Clays, Viht N310, Red Dot, and Titegroup. Don't think the FTF is related to inadequate power behind the slide function.

I've had the round sit on the follower a few times, but most of the FTF's are the round going partially in the chamber, 1/2 in and 1/2 out. Usually just racking the slide back a little will get it in. This happens about 1 in 50 rounds after the 100 round mark.

I asked if their were any mags that could handle both reloads and factory mainly to see if or which mag gave the most grace for slight errors in reloaded rounds. OAL. crimp, etc.

I thought at one point that it was the Combat target bullet design that was screwing things, but I have the same problems with the XTPS as well at about the same rate for FTF's.

I may be answering my own question here, but Federal 200 EFMJ's and 230 AE's have never FTFed, but I haven't shot the voulme of them that I have with my reloads, so I am not sure if that is a fair test.

This is naive, but hopefully my reloads are giving me good training with FTFs and the factory or duty rounds will always perform as they have.

------------------

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by GUNNER:
I've exactly the same problem with a brand new TRP.
My reasoning is powder residue after alot of shooting. It feed fine for a while when the gun is clean, maybe 50rds. Perhaps a poorly buffed feed ramp.
I'm not sure about the little "tit" in the middle of the follower in the mag either.
I've had UMC 230 FMJ do the the same also. Have tried different ammo, DITTO.
Bullet seating out of spec? I have measured some rounds to be seated below COL 1.260. I think that a bare minimum for most 1911s.
Maybe not enough taper crimp?
I can't figure it quite yet. Thought you'd all have some answers. I'm miffed right now.
I'm not really glad that you feel my pain because that means your having problems too! Anyway, 1.260 is by no means bare minimum. I load my XTP's to the same factory OAL as the Federal EFMJ's at 1.240. I hear many guys going even deeper.

As far as the having the right measurements, I taper my rounds to the standard .465-.470. That is what I hear everyone tapering too. My Lee factory crimp checks all the rounds I make, so I'm confident that I'm making good pills. I am going out tomorrow to blaze away with some tactical shooting and reloading to see if indeed my gun will perform up to that 100 rd mark without a FTF. I'm inclined to think I've got a dirt finicky gun!

------------------

·
Registered
671 Posts
Well going back to the topic...
I dont have problem with my factory mags and have not gone to the circus.

vega

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
I suspect you are finding out why Colt refuses to sell "Look at this quality - I can't wiggle the slide on the frame at all!" Match clearanced 1911s for general defensive use and carry. Colt's new, modern factory and CNC equipment is perfectly capable of these same overtight tolerences - but they just happen to know better. (Accuracy is 90%+ in the barrel/slide fit anyway!)

The clone makers, not having sixty to eighty years of building the 1911 design under their belt are unfortunately building "NRA Bullseye" target pistols and mistakenly selling them to the public as defense or combat guns. The result is unreliability, long breakin periods and guns that cannot tolerate any reasonable degree of fouling.

This is done in the name of accuracy - but I have yet to see any practical use for a combat handgun that shoots under 2" at 25yards. Most folks don't shoot that well, themselves. The resulting tradeoff in Reliability, on the other hand is a definite concern.

The most recent Gun Test Magazine has a test of a Colt 5" XSE. With it's favorite ammo it provides 2" groups at 25yds, and such accounts are common. The difference is, the current production Colts run without a long breakin, and are reliable because it is clearanced correctly, not just "minimum". If you have a match clearanced gun - keep it very clean, and clean and lube it often.

Factory Colt mags work OK, but I second the motion that the Shooting Star/McCormick "Power" mags are excellent. The Wilsons do work well clean - don't use "dirty burning" powders with them, as it can get trapped between the flat sides of the follower and the magazine body and drag things to a stop. With factory ammo, the Wilson's work well.

One guy's thoughts, warmly, Col. Colt

"Beware of Counterfeits & Patent Infringements"

[This message has been edited by Col. Colt (edited 09-14-2001).]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts