1911Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Banned
810 Posts
I can honestly say I have never overpaid for a gun. What I have done a few times was sell to low because I didn’t know what I had. So I make it SOP to research anything I get that is outside my smarts. I also have a bad habit of buying the wrong Grips, Magazines and holsters at shows.
Having said that, how can one cheer on a deal as a good one when you don’t know what the bottom line was? My Bro has over paid for over half the guns he owns. Why? Because he goes to buy and doesn’t have the fuzz to walk away. I operate on the theory that anything you don’t need for immediate survival is a luxury item. All luxury items are a Buyers Market. People dealing outside this are the cause of crazy prices. If there are no buyers at $XX then the price will decline. There are those who think up all kinds of reasons for over paying. I’ve herd them all from Bro. I wish I had made a list of the guns I’ve owned in my 72 yrs. It’s well into the thousands. I come from the Dung Beetle school of gun buying & trading. Onward and upward.
Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Trigger Wood

· Banned
810 Posts
Some bragging about price they got for gun they bought 10yrs ago, ect, People do not understand yet the concept of inflation. The money they brag about in most cases is a loss. Another variable you have to consider when buying or selling. I recently bought a revolver that was bought in 1971 for $208.36, out the door including tax. The only reason I know this, receipt is in the box. Gun is 95%+ with case
tools & docs. I gave $400 and seller was beside himself for doubling his money. His old man would have never sold it for $400. He was the one who busted his hump at $250 a week to buy it. This last couple generations havent had to wait on anything. Buy now pay later. In 1971 gas was .35gal and most people were in $50 bracket jobs. You could buy pretty nice new car for $3k. That $200 gun from 1971 is now worth $1200 2022 dollars. And if you figure it out buying power is about the same. This doesn’t take into account the present daily slide from bad to worse.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.