1911Forum banner

Have You Ever Knowingly Overpaid for a Gun?

3267 Views 71 Replies 62 Participants Last post by  larryf1952
About a month ago I bought my first 1911, a LNIB Ruger Commander. I found it at a LGS, and being something that I lusted after when it was released, I bought it pretty much right on value. I shot it a couple of times, and liked it, but found that I’ve been shooting my .22 more since it’s so much cheaper.

Last week I was in another shop looking at (and purchasing) a S&W Victory, and this gun was sitting on the used shelf. I’m a sucker for an old blued gun, and as lame as it sounds, it just kind of spoke to me. Long story short, I purchased my new Victory, and went back the next day with my Ruger and traded for the Colt. It’s a ‘71 LW Commander, and in the end, I figured with what I lost in the trade, I overpaid by around $100. I left thinking I’d regret it the next day, but I’m happy to say that I’m almost a week out, and am still super excited to pick it up when I get it added to my license.

I guess it’s just not in my blood to overpay for something like this, but I’m surprised with how little buyers remorse I have. Have you ever knowingly overpaid for a gun because it’s what you wanted?
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Wood

Wood Gun accessory Font Metal Everyday carry
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
4,090 Posts
I'm sure I've overpaid from time to time, but the latest one that I most likely did was for a FN SLP Tactical 18'' auto shotgun.

I did my research and decided I wanted the SLP model. I called every gunshop I know, every one of them were either out or couldn't get it through their distributor. Same when searching on-line, everyone was out...EVERYONE.

Then one day I was in a LGS talking to a guy I know who was working there and I did a quick search on-line and found Classic Firearms suddenly had 3 in stock. To say I was shocked would be an understatement. I showed it to him and I went ahead and placed an order for one, having it shipped to that LGS. Out the door with tax and shipping was near $1,400.

I'm glad I got it, because the next day I went back to that site to see if 2 were still in stock...all sold out. That was the last I've seen and now they're discontinued...none to be had. I did replace the standard stock with FN's full length pull pistol grip stock with adjustable length of pull and cheek riser pads. Also added a Mesa Tactical receiver mounted side saddle.

It's built like a tank and a lot of fun to shoot. Yes, I'm glad I got it.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.