1911Forum banner
61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yes I have. I bought a used 2019 date coded CZ75B that had a few more rounds on it than I would usually buy, I figured I overpaid $50-$75 more than the pistol would usually sell for, but I had been wanting a CZ75 for quite some time. (I buy gently used 100-200 rounds from private buyers and save hundreds). I figured it wouldn't hurt to pay a bit more in this instance.

View attachment 642690
Nice. I'm looking for a 75 without the B. Gotta stay off gunbroker. Just won a gun I don't remember bidding on....

·
Registered
72 Posts
An old guy at the range had a hard chrome 45 for sale and I really wasn't interested until I realized it was probably an old bullseye gun from the 60's. I ask if I could bench it at 25 yards with my bullets<he was shooting 230 ball>It shot lights out. I ask if it had extra magazines and he said he had the original gun rug and another mag. We made a deal and he said would bring the rug next week. The gun rug was stamped King's Gun Works.:love:
Congrats on that one! I remember their reputation from way back when! (y)

·
Registered
14 Posts
More than a few times. The last was just this past week. I have been lusting after a Winchester Model 70 Safari Grade in 375 H&H magnum. Local dealer told me the wait time could be up to six months for a new one. I called Winchester service and they said it could be up to a year. They only make them when they get enough orders to do the machine set up and this particular model is not in demand as much as some of the smaller calibers. I found one on Gun Broker listed as in perfect condition that did not look like it had ever been shot. It came with a Leupold scope. I took a chance and ordered it. It cost me about what a new one would without the scope but when it arrived, it was just as stated in the ad.
One of the last 2010 year guns made in the USA. Pristine condition, not a mark on it with no signs of powder anywhere in the action so I am sure it was unfired. Additionally, although the scope was mounted it was not zeroed adding credence to its unfired status. I will sell the scope as I have another I prefer so I will recover a small portion of the price but I was never one to wait and I am a firm believer I should spend the money I have earned over the years so they children don't have to fight over it. ;) It turn out the seller bought it at an estate sale which leads me to believe the original owner bought it and never got a chance to use it.
Bottom line is money honestly earned is meant to be spent. The old adage "He who hesitates is lost". has risen up and smacked me in the face many times, and I am not getting any younger. Welcome to the club of Gotta Haves.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I over paid for my S&W Mountain gun by at least $200, but it was a local guy got to handle and look it over and just didn’t care that I paid more than I wanted because it’s a gun that will stay with til the end.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I WISH my denomination for overpayment was only $100! IME, Colts are easy to sell. I bought a brand new Gold Cup a year ago for tagged price and sold it used for $1 more than I bought for new. I'd say you did well trading the Ruger for a Colt, value-wise.

I recently bought a Wilson Combat Experior as my main carry gun. A lot of people would consider that to be overpaying, but if you look at the market, there are not a lot of options for double stack 9mm 1911's (or should I say 2011s), and the available options (that I'm aware of) are all pricey. But I've decided I shoot 1911's best, and I train with the thumb safety manual of arms, and I've decided I want to carry a 1911 style gun.

Mostly 9mm, sometimes 45 ACP. I'm selling a bunch of other pistols to offset the cost, and I'm trying to carefully consider what I want to keep to enjoy shooting on occasion, but if there's anything that can ease the pain of parting with a gun you like, it's a Wilson Combat (y)

Another added bonus is, at the range, I'm shooting both these carry guns 90+ percent of the time which I think is important if you're going to carry them. Before I always enjoyed shooting guns other than my carry gun, so I didn't shoot it enough.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
1st of all, you didn't overpay @ all INHO.

2nd: of course I have. I usually hang on to them which makes up for the $$ difference as the guns rise in value.

If you like it, have lusted after it and you finally find it -- buy it and enjoy.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Not for any run-of-the-mill, mass-production stuff, but I don't buy hardly any of that to start with. All of my practical needs have been covered for some time, and I don't have any interest in cycling through this or that latest plastic gun, this or that budget 1911, etc.

But I have a number of collectible handguns with total production numbers ranging from the low single digits to the low triple digits (along with others originally produced in greater numbers but reduced by the long passage of time), and I have, by my estimation, certainly overpaid for a few of them. When it's (1) something I really want and (2) something I'm very unlikely to see again for years, or maybe ever, I'm willing to pay significantly more than my estimate of average fair market value to get it (to the extent that figure even can be determined for items that almost never change hands). Even so, what I paid then is somewhere between a very fair price and a screaming deal today in many cases, even accounting for inflation. I've found a number of good to great deals over the years as well, especially with the pricing of the guns I buy in Europe relative to their going rates here, so it evens out in the aggregate.

·
Registered
663 Posts
"Have You Ever Knowingly Overpaid for a Gun"

Yes, quite regularly. On the other side of the issue, I do not trade guns like girlfriends and values eventually go well beyond my original purchase price and I'm always ahead.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I've paid more than I WANTED to pay on a number of occasions, but I have never felt like I OVER paid for a gun. If a gun is ridiculously priced or out of my league, I can pass on it without regret. On the contrary, I have gotten some great guns at really great prices by being at the right place at the right time. So, I'm ahead of the game at this point. 😊

61 - 72 of 72 Posts