1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In one slightly varied form or another, I have from time to time heard the statement that Rock Island 1911's were, or are, produced on machines that at one time were used to produce 1911's for the US Government.
I was "from Missouri" on that, and decided to ask the folks at Armscor. According to Martin Tauson, CEO, Armscor began mass producing 1911's in 1996, on CNC machinery specifically purchased for the task.
Just FYI, folks.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I had heard that rumor before, but never put much stock into it. I do appreciate you getting the story straight, though.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I had heard that the company that was Armscor's predecessor did refurbishment work on 1911's given to the postwar Philippine Army by the US. The way I read it was that they served the role of large unit armory that the Filipino forces didn't have for that job. While I have no corroboration of that, it sounds way more reasonable than the using old machines tale. Of course, if you hear that the Russians used old, late-thirties Packard automobile tooling for their ZIL limousines up until the mid-fifties; that is completely true!

·
Registered
745 Posts
Good job ferreting out the facts. One true case that comes close to that wives tale is Taurus originally using old Beretta tooling in Brazil for their PT92.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts