1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have put about 200 rds through my Sig TTT and I can't seem to hit where I want. I have my sights adjusted to the max to compensate. It is shooting a nice group at about 3" low and about 2" to the left. It was worst before adjustment. I was using some PMC, Remington and Winchester white box. All 230gr. Here are some pictures of the adjustment I have made.

To me the front sight seems to be a bit off

Now I was thinking getting some 3 dot target sights installed anyways (not sure if possible) and a FO front but I have a concern about the gun leaving some scratches on the left side of the slide where it makes contact with the frame. This is a picture after the first 100 rds.

Should I go ahead and change the sights or send it back to Sig?

·
Registered
8,321 Posts
Before you go swapping sights, tell us how you are using your existing ones. Are you using dots to aim or are you using the tops of your sights to aim like you are suppose to?

Are you an experienced target shooter?

Do you have a pic of your target?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm using dot to aim. Which is what have been used to shooting for over 20 years now. I thought it was me but I had some one else shoot it and same result.

I wish I had a picture of the target but I was so frustrated that I forgot. I'm supposed to be using this Sig for Steel Challenges.

·
Registered
8,321 Posts
Are you sure it isn't you? With the rear maxed out, using the dot for aiming and .180 being a little short for adjustable sights, you should be shooting high.

Maybe you should send it in and ask them to target it. If it shoots low, a shorter front sight should fix you up.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do but if you notice from the pictures, it is going to the left quite a bit and that's a lot of elevation. To me I feel like I'm putting a band-aid on the issue. I'm more concerned with the scratch the slide is leaving on the left side and left side only. There is some play with the slide from side to side, not much but there is some.

·
Registered
8,321 Posts
I do but if you notice from the pictures, it is going to the left quite a bit and that's a lot of elevation. To me I feel like I'm putting a band-aid on the issue. I'm more concerned with the scratch the slide is leaving on the left side and left side only. There is some play with the slide from side to side, not much but there is some.
It doesn't matter how the sight looks in the dovetail, only that it is centered over the muzzle. There are too many variables in slides to use the dovetail to gauge center. It is hard to tell from the pic if it is centered over the muzzle or not.

As far as the dust cover rub goes, something is off center or out of spec on one side causing it to hit on one side and not the other.

Send it in.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you sure it isn't you? With the rear maxed out, using the dot for aiming and .180 being a little short for adjustable sights, you should be shooting high.

Maybe you should send it in and ask them to target it. If it shoots low, a shorter front sight should fix you up.
That's what I though. I know is not me. My friend is a competitive shooter and he had the same issue and he try to adjusted and it did "corrected" a bit. but I can not get it to hit a 3.5" target at 10yrds. It hits just outside of the target at right at the 7 o' clock position and it makes a nice grouping with all ammo.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Have you tried shooting off a rest and see where the gun hits without the human factor? I have a TTT and it shoots dead center when I do it right.

Pops

BTW, that mark on the frame shouldn't be there.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My older Sig GSR is also dead on but that's my home defense gun, TTT is going to be a comp gun.

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
Adjusting sights

Since your rear sights can not go higher to adjust for the low group, then you could file down the front sight, however, you would have to be comfortable with a shorter front sight.

Also, you could remove the pin in the front sight, place the slide in a padded vise, tape the front sight to prevent scratches, and drift the front sight slightly left. This will move you POI to the right, and you could then find the right combination of windage using the front sight to the left with the rear sight windage adjustment. If you are then happy how the gun groups, you could mark the proper location of the front sight, and use a bit of blue Loctite to the front sight to make sure it stays in place.

The following formula will give you an idea how much you would have to move your sight to allow the correct POA to the correct POI. You will have to measure the sight radius of your SIG.

Sight adjustment Calculation

The amount of sight adjustment needed can be calculated. The equation is:
amount of adjustment needed = (distance wanted to move group x sight radius) divided by distance to target. All dimensions in inches. For example: If you want to move your group 6" @ 25 yds, then the rear sight adjustment needed = (6 x 6.25) divided by (25 x 3 x 12) = 0.042". (The sight radius used is an assumed number).

Let's say the sight radius of your SIG is 5 inches. You want need to change the sight to move the group higher by 3" at a 10 yd. group:

3" X 5" / 360" (10 yds in inches) equals: front sight has to be reduced .041 inches. The front sight would need to be roughly .139 inches tall, which is way too short for my preference......

I would consider calling SIG and see if they will correct the issue....they should.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Low and left, for a right-handed shooter, is almost always...

...the shooter.

More than a sight-adjustment, my low/left woes are cured by a liberal dose of ball-and-dummy work. May be worth a try before you further alter the gun.

·
Premium Member
15,713 Posts
It doesn't matter how the sight looks in the dovetail, only that it is centered over the muzzle. There are too many variables in slides to use the dovetail to gauge center. It is hard to tell from the pic if it is centered over the muzzle or not.

As far as the dust cover rub goes, something is off center or out of spec on one side causing it to hit on one side and not the other.

Send it in.
It doesn't matter how the sight looks in the dovetail, only that it is adjusted properly. The OP's pistol looks like the sights are nearly on center, yet he complains that the shot goes left. Why not move the rear sight to the right? If the adjustment to the right is already fully taken up, which it doesn't seem to be by the picture, then the whole sight base has to be shifted to the right. Some of this adjustment can be taken up with the front sight which of course moves opposite the direction you want the point of impact to move - in this case, to the left to move the bullet strike right.

·
Registered
154 Posts
There's something wrong with that gun, it's not the sights. It shouldn't be rubbing on the frame like that. Send it back and let Sig fix it.

Pops

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Send it in. Let the factory figure it out.

At the most, I would rest it and shoot a target and take photo, just to satisfy the 'shooter' equation. Since you shoot steel challenge, and had another person shoot it, I doubt it is you. But your adjustments on the rear sight looks crazy high. The marks on the dust cover shouldn't be there.

I have heard great things about Sig CS. They're very good and quick on these type of issues.

Hope you get it back quickly.

Happy shooting and be safe.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts