1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a Kimber Tactical Custom. This is my first 1911. I fired three hundred rounds of WWB and 25 Golden Sabres through it and now the slide is releasing very slowly and not rocketing back as it used to. Unfortunately I am unable to clean it as I left my kit on the other side of the state. I am a little worried and feel that it just needs to be wiped and oiled. I will be cleaning it ASAP but am very nervous about this. I do not want rust to develop or the pistol to be dangerous.

Is my asessment correct that it is dry and needs to be cleaned or is it something worse?

And Happy Holidays to everyone.

· Registered
1,984 Posts
Several questions could be asked on this post, but my question is? Are you going to be firing it in the part of the state you are in now? Go buy a cheap cleaning kit. If not, damn near anything will do in a pinch. Disassemble it, wipe it down and lube it with whatever oil is available (motor, wd40, etc) till you get home.

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I already fired it in this part of the state. Now its dirty. I think I will just go by a cheap universal cleaning kit. I dont plan to fire it anymore until I get home. Thanks for the advice.

· Banned
1,659 Posts
You don't have to clean the bore to clean most of the gun. Get some CLP or FP-10, then just a tooth brush and Q-tips. Field strip it, use the tooth brush all over the gun, wipe it clean and then use the Q-tips in the cracks and crevices. When you re-assemble it, put a drop of CLP/oil on the slide rails, link pin, barrel lugs and wipe some oil around the inside of the barrel bushing and outer surface. A drop where the hammer drops into the back of the gun. Then after working the slide a few times and dry firing, you should be good to go.

Deez.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.