1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I pull the trigger, the gun fires but unless I physically pull the trigger back forward, the grip safety will not spring back. In other words, the grip safety is not returning after I fire or dry fire.

If I just have the hammer down, it springs back and forth like it should.

Any advice? Is there something going on with the sear spring?

patsue

·
Administrator
18,611 Posts
I moved this one here in hopes you will get a better response.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Your grip safety needs more clearance where the trigger passes underneath. The trigger is actually getting wedged in there. If and only if you are comfortable with fixing it yourself remove the grip safety and slightly file the bottom of the upper shelf that the trigger is hanging up on.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Try putting some magic marker on the area mentioned by Jeff C than reassemble pistol and push and pull the trigger while putting a little up pressure on the "tail" of the grip safety. When you disassemble again you should be able to see where the back of the trigger bow is scraping on the bottom of the arm on the grip safety. A lot of the time this area is not square with the trigger bow so only a LITTLE needs to be filed where it's dragging. Also a light polishing there along with correct sear spring pressure is all that is needed. Carefull, remove too much material and the grip safety won't block the trigger when not depressed and it will have to be welded.

Mark Z.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, the problem was the sear spring. I had just put a new Clark sear spring on a while ago but hadn't fired it yet and forgot I had done it. All I needed to do was adjust the trigger return spring little to put more tension on the trigger loop. Works like it should now.

I hope the little bending I did doesn't hurt the longevity of the sear spring.

Thanks,

patsue

1 - 5 of 5 Posts