1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a head lamp for cleaning my firearms.
There are so many online to select from its a little confusing.
I am not concerned about price but I do not need a lamp that allows me to look across town. I just need a lamp to light up the residue under the extractor.

Any recommendations ? I lean toward over spec than under spec.

·
Banned
3,089 Posts
Get one that uses AA batteries. You'll be happier in the long run. I have some that use smaller batteries, but primarily for backpack camping where weight and space is at a premium. For home use, any el-cheapo will do fine. If you want to over-spec, get a Petzl or Black Diamond, but a model that uses AA batteries.

·
Registered
7,818 Posts
I have an articulated lamp with a built in magnifying glass.

I 'inherited' it from my now deceased father-in-law.

It works GREAT for small parts, jewelry chains, and inspecting my firearms to make sure I got em clean.

Oh, and before anyone gives me grief about my eyesight.

I'll only reply "You too will get old someday. Maybe. ;) :grumble: ;)

Depending on how many old guys you make insulting comments to.:rofl:

·
Banned
4,947 Posts
I bought an articulated lamp and a cheap pair of cheater reading glasses, 1.5+. In a well lit room and for reloading it's nice to have the glasses on your head.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I clean my guns indoors, under a halogen desk lamp with an articulated arm. I have a headband which holds a mini-mag flashlight. I used in once in the presence of my grandchildren. Once.

·
Registered
7,818 Posts
Why only once Neumann?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
To the OP's question, I have a Fenix HL21 headlamp that I use a lot. I looked for quite a while and it had to satisfy several criteria:

* 1 - AA battery
* CREE lamp
* Adjustable output
* Diffuser or adjustable beam width
* reasonable price

The HL21 has been a great lamp and is used for everything from working outdoors at night to close-up work indoors. It can also rest on a table or other surface and be used as an area light when a lamp on your head isn't the best location.

And yes, it's a bit hard not to look dorky with a headlamp on. I was with my 20-something niece and nephew a while back and used my headlamp and pocket knife to cut something. They both took a picture of me and one even posted it on social media something.

But, they thought it was cool in an weird sort of way. They know who to call when something needs fixing.

dakotaTex

·
Registered
953 Posts
I am partial to the Princeton Tec Fuel and Byte. Not incredibly expensive and work well. Both use AAA batteries. I might get another Fuel to leep in the car.

No matter who's around when you use it, you will look like a Dork. Accept it and move on.
Once you get to a certain age, it doesn't matter what they think. (LOL)

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Somehow the thread title brought the female upper torso area to mind.

Bob

·
Registered
2,166 Posts

·
Registered
7,818 Posts

·
Registered
7,818 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts